SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Week: I don't even know anymore!!!

Texas_Gem
9 years ago

Hey guys and gals, sadly our weekly progress threads have been slipping into obscurity since the merger happened.

This week I purchased a dresser, which I will build a topper for to serve as my buffet/China hutch.

Also, even though there is no "visual" progress, I've been moving my parents things out of my storage in the basement and attic and into their new place that I built for them.

This is exciting for me as it gives me an opportunity to get rid of clutter (which I HATE) and also allows me to sort through, organize and ultimately cull my stuff.

I dislike clutter and see little purpose in storage. If it is something you will use or it has STRONG sentimental value, by all means, find a way to incorporate it or store it properly; otherwise, get rid of the extra junk in your life.

I've been (trying) to help my mom with this. She still has wall decor that was given as a wedding gift almost 40 years ago. It doesn't fit her style anymore, she can't even tell me who gave it to her originally; and yet she still has this visceral attachment to it simply BECAUSE it was a wedding gift oh so long ago.

I'm hoping I can eventually bring her around.

What about you? Do you find yourself clinging to things that ultimately don't matter because of some emotional connection?

How do you deal with a lifetime of memories without getting bogged down by stuff?

Comments (14)