SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

Can you help me, please? What to use on stair edge?

oofasis
16 years ago

ItÂs not actually a "stair"  let me explain. I very much would like to use one of the new beveled edge plank vinyls in my home, but I have an obstacle that I donÂt know how to overcome. My home was built in the Â70s and its footprint is kind of like a backwards upside-down "L" shape. You step up a single step into the entry and continue forward through the entry hall; then you step down a single step into and across the living room and step back up a single step to get to the dining and kitchen areas. (So, a sunken living room that adjoins all the other living areas) WeÂre adding to the house by squaring off the first floor, but there are four long sections of floor where the floor height changes  and thatÂs where IÂm stumped. None of these vinyl flooring manufacturers (Karndean, Amtico, Metroflor) makes a stair nosing. The flooring stores showed me a rubber nosing (used in commercial applications), and I think it would be awful and would diminish the look (and considerable expense  these vinyls are NOT cheap!) of the new flooring.

Do any of you flooring experts have alternative suggestions for what I could use along the step-up edges? IÂd like to use a wood plank vinyl (6x36, 3mm) in two of the spaces and a slate tile vinyl (2.5mm) in two other spaces. Is there another material I could use along the edges where you step down? Would it be possible, and how would it look, if we used a real wood stair nose?

IÂm in California and my house is built on a slab. ThereÂs laminate on the floors now, and I donÂt want to replace it with another laminate (most especially in the kitchen, where water is concerned). Hardwood is beyond our budget, as is tile -- and besides, I donÂt want the hardness and cold of tile. These new vinyls are incredibly beautiful and warm, and theyÂll suit our lifestyle very compatibly, as well as our budget.

Does anyone have any recourse for me?

Comment (1)