SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jedicat_gw

unique or custom entry door options

JediCat
9 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my front entrance door. For a while I wanted a custom wood entrance door for the unique and heavy look, but quotes were in the 11-15k range, and I'm thinking might not want to spend that much.

My preferred contractor only uses ProVia doors, and says all the others are lower-quality. And that does seem to be the consensus on the web as well. And while they make some nice door options, there isn't anything really "unique' or interesting to go by.

I'm wondering, are there any options for something a bit more unique or character, that are of equal quality to provia?

Are there any options for a custom fiberglass or custom wood door that might not be 3x the cost of a standard one? Maybe only 1.5x more expensive? (and this is total installation cost, the door itself is usaully a small portion of that).

I currently have a single 36" door with two 18" sidelights, and a 36" radius half circle transom. I'd like to creatively use up this space. But most of the options that are more unique with this shape are designed for a 60" profile instead of a 72" one.

I'm also considering if double-doors might be a nicer look.

The house is 80's faux-tudor style. Brick bottom, cream stucco with brown trim, diamond grid casement windows, cedar shake roof. I want something that gives a sort of "Castle" look, thick heavy and fancy but not gaudy.

One last question, just how much hassle is a wood door vs. fiberglass? My main reason for going back to fiberglass is just the no-maintenance aspect (and probably better insulation factor). But I still want it to look indistinguishable from wood. But I think it'll be harder if not impossible to find custom fiberglass options, so if I ended up back in wood, how much pain is the maintenance? And expected life.

I actually have a wood door now, but it's hidden behind a storm door, and I want my new entry to not have a storm door so I can enjoy the door. I do have a large covered alcove in front of it, and a giant tree that shades the area quite well. The front door gets very little if any sunlight in the summer, and never gets rain unless it's horizontal.

Comments (4)