SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenyears

tired of being a step mom

tenyears
17 years ago

I feel worn down and depressed. After 10 years of being "the other mom", I am tired! Tired of feeling like an outsider, of being unfavored, surpressed, and unloved. If I get any show of affection it is always given begrudgingly. I have to ask for a hug, mostly I am avoided. I don't understand because I have always been good to the kids and have shown affection, but lately...I give up! BM has always been GOD. I am sick of it. She is such a needy person that her kids are still tied to her apron strings at 19 and 14. The SD14 can't make desions about the simplist things without 'mommy's' approval. Over the years BM has made too many of her rules at our house. Like, SD can't walk the dog by herself (kidnapping? rape? she has placed so much fear in her...) I resent it and the husband and I have had words over it. In fact, the only thing we ever argue about is the x or his kids.

BM calls my husband way too often, and not always concerning the kids. She treats him like her buddy. My husband is very non confrontational and lets things slide. He knows I don't like the constant communication between them, so he just neglects to tell me.

Now we are trying something new because there is friction betwen the SD and myself. I ask that chores be done , she sits on her butt, so I get mad. (Wrong?) She watches TV or is on the computer for up to 5 hours a day. I complain, so she gets moody and disrespectful, I get angry. Some is normal teen stuff, I know. Husband says let him handle it and that I should say nothing. (I am not made that way.) I have been an active part, or tried to be, of this family for 10 years and now I feel even more like an outsider. The chores are getting done, but it may take a few days...so far no limit has been put on the TV. I get frusterated and hurt, he doesn't seem to understand. I don't know what else to do.

If I had to do it over again, I don't think I would marry if I had to be a step mom. I have 3 grown children of my own. They were taught to be indepentant and have done well, they are parents themselves now. Husband says he isn't raisng his kids the way I did. He thinks I am a hard ass, I think he is too soft. I have had no problems with my kids' step mom or their dad.

I love my husband but I feel sad and hurt. I get jealous and I know that is wrong. This is complicated and it is hard to keep this short.

Any advice for grandma?

Comments (34)