SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starr_gw

successful step families

starr
16 years ago

I have been lurking here for awhile but have never posted cause I have always felt there was way too much hostility here towards step parents. But it looks like things may be changing here so here goes my story.

I am currently engaged to a man who has a wonderful little boy. His son lives with his BM and there have been some rough patches between BM and my fiancbut things are pretty calm right now. We get him one night a week and every other weekend.

It's somewhat hard though for me to relate to some of the stories in here and I come from a pretty unique set of circumstances myself. My parents divorced when I was 8. My mother remarried several years later to my step father. My step father raised me as one of his own and has never treated me or my younger brother differently then my two older step brothers. My bio dad was an alcoholic and not really emotionally and financially involved in our lives. I know Bio Dad loved us, but he was just incapable of taking care of himself, much less two children.

When I was 16 my mother died of breast cancer and it was devastating. My step brothers were older and had already been on their own so it was just my step dad, myself and brother for awhile. When I was 19 my step father remarried. I was devastated again. It was too soon for me and I was pretty clear that I was not happy about the new marriage. My father would never stand for bad behavior from his children so I don't want to say that I was a disrespectful, I was just an emotional wreck and made what should have been a happy time in my father's life very difficult. If you watch their wedding video you can clearly hear me sobbing hard in the video...yikes! To say the day was a damper for them is an understatement.

I look back on that time in my life and I am incredibly embarrassed of my behavior. My step mother has been a wonderful addition to my life. She has always been there for me to talk about anything, even about my wonderful mother and how much I miss her. We certainly don't have a mother/daughter relationship since I was technically an adult when she came into my life, but whatever it is, still feels pretty darn good. There is a small part of me that knows my bio mother would be happy to know that her children were very well taken care of by the new wife.

I'm 30 now. My parents (step dad and step mom) moved to the east coast a year ago and recently came back to visit me on the west coast. For many years I have been very regretful of my behavior at their wedding. This was step mother's first wedding and looking back I am thankful that she has never shown any resentments towards me for ruining her special day. Step mom and I happened to be alone for a few minutes when they were out here. I apologized to her for my breakdown - 12 years later. We cried and laughed about the whole thing and even today have a much better understanding and respect for each other.

I have told my dad many times that he is one of the luckiest men alive, he was able to fall in love and marry the two greatest women ever.

I also have a pretty good relationship with step dad's first wife, my step brother's bio mom. She and I have had lunch together a few times over the years and I will usually see her around the holidays or family functions.

You know, I have come to realize that I am pretty lucky, And I feel like I have learned some great tools for my future as a step parent. I owe that to my step parents. My goal now is to raise a step son who is accepting that families come in all shapes and sizes - and that you can never have too many people to love and be loved by.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022