SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clover8

Quote for Update from K&T - Is this right?

clover8
15 years ago

Hi,

I bought a home last summer. It was built in 1911, with an addition put on in 1950. It is my very first home and I had no idea about K&T. That is, until my hallway ceiling caved in from a bathroom pipe leak above, and I had to have the entire hallway ceiling removed to have a plumber fix the pipes. When the ceiling was down, the plumber pointed out that I had K&T and really should have it updated.

Now, keep in mind, niether my buyers agent or the HI informed me about the possibility of K&T. My plumber said they should have known by the hard "clicks" of the light switches that clearly indicate the old K&T wiring. Oh well.

Anyways, I had the section in the ceiling updated with new wire. My service is 240V/120V and 150 amps (as read from the inspection report). Being new to all of this as I was considering buying the house, I just saw that the service was acceptable, but never thought about the wiring itself, or that some or all of the old K&T still existed.

Had I known, I would have made an electrical upgrade or credit for it part of my buyers contingencies.

Anyways - here is where I'm at. I called an electrician that "specializes in updating old houses", and he gave me a quote of $7,000 to do the whole house. He said it was standard to charge $3,000 per floor (I have 2 floors), and $1,000 in the basement. My attic was updated in 1995.

Does this sound right??? He said his company fishes the wire very methodically and leaves only a few holes in the wall. I told him that I'm sure some places in the house (like my hallway) have been updated, but other than that, have no idea what has or hasn't been updated. He said he would "adjust" the price accordingly if less work is needed.

He also explained that I don't want just any electrician (union) contractors doing the work because they are used to doing commercial work, not old houses.

Any advice? I can't afford to pay out $7,000 right now. Is it possible to just have him do a few rooms at a time? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)