SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newstepmom

SD is the pet

16 years ago

Hello. I recently married a man with three children, SD 18 years old, SS 16 yo, and SD 14 y.o. The kids live with their Mom and visit EOW. I have no children of my own and am the breadwinner. Husband makes good salary and is very generous with bio mom. I have worked hard at building bridges with each of the children, and have succeeded with the oldest two. The youngest is a real problem. She is immature for her age and has few friends. (Her bio Mom is her best friend, which doesn't sound too healthy to me.) She is the family "pet," and has told me bluntly "I am my parents favorite child." Despite my efforts, she has been very rude and hostile towards me. DH has starting taking her side, because she is a"just a kid." I feel like she could hit me with a baseball bat, and DH would make an excuse. To make matters worse, DH moved into my house, which was much nicer that his. SD acts like she owns the place, and refers to it as her own. I told my DH that I feel burnt out by this, and exploited, and that he should give me a break by having his visitations with SD in the town where she lives(over an hour away from us.) He says he is too tired and doesn't want to drive. I feel like I am being used, and am growing increasingly resentful of DH. We have gone to a counselor, who thinks we should talk with SD, let her know that the house is mine that I share with DH, and that she is visiting because I love her father. Also, describe how we want her to behave. I feel this plan will backfire, because she will not feel obliged to behave, knowing that she is the family pet. I am desperate for advice. I am thinking I made a big mistake.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living