SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finedreams

SD's strange engagement....possible disaster..

finedreams
15 years ago

I wonder if older SD is preparing for disaster. i certainly hope that this is not going to be a disaster...

Here is the story

older SD (call her that for convenience, we are not married) does not talk to BM currently. BM expressed her opinion on SD's engagement (suggested not to get engaged yet). SD got engaged two months ago to a guy whom nobody ever met. After her comments SD stopped talking to mom and now planning a destination wedding somewhere far way at a time when mom cannot take time off work and none of momÂs family would be able to attend and pretty much no one but dad can attend.

here is a background. SD is 26, lives out of state, has good education fully paid by parents, makes good money, arranged it so only minimal portion goes to checking account, the rest goes to saving, she saved A LOT of money already. When she needs money for anything else, she calls mom or dad and says she does not want to dip into her savings so would they give her money. BM says no. SO of course says yes and sends the money. SD always wants money.

SD was seeing this guy for years. Nobody knew the guy. BM saw him once and did not like him. SDÂs relationship with the guy was weird, she never spent any holiday, vacation or break with him, but spent all of that with dad. Hmmm All this time she was saying it is a causal dating kind of situation, then all of a sudden she got engaged. SD has no girlfriends, does not speak to her grandparents, refuses to visit them (according to SO they give cheap gifts and SD being money greedy is offended), speaks to no one in the family, she rarely talks to her younger sister. So she pretty much only talks to dad.

Now to describe her fiancée. He is in mid 30s, almost 10 years older than SD, lives with his parents (!), has a job but apparently makes very little. SO always pays for SDÂs airplane tickets but when SD finally brought fiancee to dad after engagement in late March, she asked dad to pay for fiancéeÂs ticket. I thought that it was inappropriate. Why would anyone propose if he has no money for airplane tickets?

Now SD started to look for a place for them to move in together (her place is tiny) but fiancée has no money to contribute. Why did he live with his parents since he got out of college at 22? So why didnÂt he save anything? Fiancee has no clear plans, wants to move to different states, change his job, has no plans where to live after marriage, he also does not seem to be that smart.

SD is a very pretty girl, educated with a good job, but she has big problem with relationships in a family or outside the family.

I wonder if she marries out of desperation. They seem to have very strange relationship. For about a month she seemed to be very involved with him after engagement, but now it is the same story again. She plans to come alone to dads and stay this summer, she calls daily and talks nonstop to dad, she goes nowhere with her fiancee. I and SO went on a trip on Memorial Day holiday. SD called us every day, apparently they did not do anything, just sat home 3 days. I am not saying they have to go on vacation, it is costly, but at least go for a walk! What kind of relationship is that!

I am afraid that disaster will hit. SO is not too happy but keeps quiet. He complains to me, but I do not know if I should say anything what i think or keep quiet. I of course keep quiet, not my business. I only expressed my concern why this guy lived with his parents for that long to which SO answered because he wanted to save money. But he apparently did not save anything.

SO is terrified that if he says anything, his daughter wonÂt speak to him like she does not speak to anyone else in the family. I am afraid that SDÂs fiancée marries her for money and for improving his life. And now not only she but he will also live off SO. He already started relationship with a future father-in-law by making him to pay for airplane tickets! isn't it a shame? also fiance visted the first time and came empty handed, did not even bring anything. it sounds rude. he could at least bring flowers to younger SD if nothing for a future father-in-law. They did not go to BM because SD does not talk to mom.

This is constantly on my mind I obviously have no place to say anything, even if SO asks my opinion I say nothing on this matter. But I wonder if I should say that this is not a good catch for her and it is going to make her life worse and posibly SO's.

Comments (54)