SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
godey_gw

Disheartened-I need a few kind words

godey
21 years ago

I am in desperate need of a few kind words. It is just so difficult some days to be a stepmother.

My situation is very complicated. I have been married just over 2yrs. I am the custiodial stepmother of 3, one child has special needs. I have 2 sons of my own. My entire marriage has been spent battling with my husband's exwife in a bitter custody case. She sued us for custody because she didn't want to pay child support. The court did not award her custody, in fact she ended up losing time. She is a constant thorn in our side.

Recently, she started acting out of character, such as saying thank you and please. I told my husband she was up to something, he laughed and basically dismissed my comments.

But Guess What?

When received a letter from our attorney yesterday asking for ammendments to the custody agreement that is only 5 MONTHS old. This is after we spent TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on the last one. We are financially strapped now.

My husband admitted he should have listened to me. I knew in my bones she was up to something.

She wants us to changed the custody agreement so that pick up of the children would be more convienent for her. It has nothing to do with what is in the best interest of the children.

My husband told the attorney that he would not agree to any unreasonable requests. We can not afford to spend one more cent. What happens next time the wind changes?

I am just so discouraged by the way my life has been impacted on issues that where not of my choosing. I knew I was marrying a man with custody of his children, his exwife was a pyscho and things would not be easy. But it is never ending with the exwife. Legally, we have done everyhing possible to insulate ourselves from her, but there are 3 children and she was visitation during the week as well as alternating weekends. She is a constant in our lives. A bitter ugly one. I have never felt so much hatred for a person in my entire life. My stepchildren have many behavioral issuse. I feel I am living in hell some days.

I struggle to like my stepchldren, I know it's not their fault but their mother's.

I can't imagine the rest of my life like this. Today I told my husband that I don't know if I can live with him anymore.

I am heartbroken. I am a strong person, who has survived many difficult situations but this has truly taken a terrible toll on me. I was divorced for 11years and never experienced one ounce of this utter bullsh-t!!!

Both my sons will be off to college in the next 3 years. They are the reason I stay. I moved them from another state and they have flourished and the lives they have developed outside our home are tremendous. In school, they are academically strong and have excelled atheletically. They have great lives. Better than mine. I can not disrupt their lives by leaving, but I am afraid that once they are off to college I will have no reason to stay.

I try to explain to my husband the way I feel. He doesn't quite understand

Today I am very sad. I am sorry if anyone out there is suffering too. There are no easy answers. I will pray for the right one and keep all of you in my prayers as well.

Thanks for listening.

Comments (7)