SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taffie30

Magic formula.... How do I get stepdaughter to like me?

taffie30
21 years ago

I'm fairly new to this forum. I've been living with my sig-other for three years. We've been dating for five. He seems to get along with my son most of the time. I do my best to try to encourage respect. His daughter is another story. He says the problem is with me and I'm jealous. I've thought about that long and hard. I don't buy it. I am resentful though. There is no respect and he pretty much lets her do whatever she wants. Any time I try to ask her to do anything... even something as mild as asking her to pick up her stuff from the living room... he claims I am crushing her self esteem. I ask her to brush her hair. I've even offered to brush it for her. Of course, I mention it because she wouldn't ever even wash it, let alone brush it, if he didn't make her... she hasn't reached the stage where she cares yet. I've tried every non threatening way I can think of when approaching her. She flat out refuses to listen or follow directions from anybody except her dad. BTW, he has full custody. And it isn't just me that seems to have this problem... other adults complain to me instead of him about her lack of respect for adults. Any ideas?

Comments (10)