SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

buying plans for kitchen cabinet construction, and other question

tetrazzini
18 years ago

hi,

i'd like to make my own kitchen cabinets. i've done quite a bit of woodworking and know that i can do it. but i also know that i need a good plan. (i once made a slatted cedar deck table without a plan -- i designed the construction myself -- and it fell apart after a few years.) mostly, i need to know the strongest joints to use and where.

the style i want is frame and panel construction on the doors, and either true F&P sides (the ones that show, anyway) or at least planed boards placed over plywood to look like F&P on the visible sides. i plan to use poplar, and paint the cabinets. i also want the doors and drawers to be inset (flush with the frames.) and i'm planning to use marble countertops on some cabs, wood on others.

i haven't found a good book at the bookstore that has actual plans.

my questions:

1) does anyone know of a source for high quality plans for traditional-style kitchen cabinets?

2) i'm also wondering where a cabinetmaker buys all the hardware that goes with all the kitchen features you see these days, like pull-out shelves, appliance garage door hardware, etc.

3) i know it's unusual these days, but one CAN make solid wood cabinets that will last, can't you?! my preference is not to use plywood.

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks,

debbie

Comments (5)