SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrschlab

Kitchen layout questions for new construction

mrschlab
6 years ago

Hi there,

I'm a long time lurker on the GardenWeb forums, and so appreciative of all the kitchen wisdom shared here! We are at the point where we have a design for our new home (developed by ARG over on the Building a Home forum) and are ready to have construction drawings done. I would like to get some input on the kitchen layout before we move ahead with the drawings. We are planning to use IKEA cabinets, and possibly Semihandmade or Scherr's for door and drawer fronts. Here's a link to the full floor plan post:

Link to full floor plan on Building a Home forum

Below is a close up of the kitchen area where I've crudely Photoshopped in the dimensions. I'm not interested in major moving of walls/windows or rearranging living spaces. However, we may be able to give some inches here or there (i.e., there is some flexibility in the dimensions) if it will result in a better layout.

Windows over sink face East. We have south facing windows on the bottom of the dining room. Fridge, range, and sink stay as drawn? Dishwasher to right of sink. I was envisioning a cabinet run along the left side (8'6" wall). My thoughts were that I could put a coffee station under the small window on that wall. To left of small window would be tall pantry units, with one containing a microwave shelf. However, if entire width of kitchen is 18', and I have 4' aisles, that means island will be 6 feet wide at most. The space between between the pantry cabinets and island is also a traffic path from mudroom, so I'm guessing we should increase the aisle to at least 4'6" to accommodate the traffic? So that shrinks the island even further. Is that too small to be an effective prep space? I'm used to a larger island. I had also thought about a prep sink in the island to accommodate multiple cooks in the kitchen, but I'm concerned about including a prep sink given the island size. My husband thinks we should increase the length of the kitchen to 19' or 20', but we've been fighting to keep square footage down, and I don't want to spend the square footage needlessly.

We have three kids (may have more) and frequently eat breakfast at the island. I'd like to be able to have island seating on two sides of the island is possible. However, the dining table is right there, so maybe we can make do with less island seating. Most meals will be at the dining table. I'd thought about maybe a peninsula instead of an island, but don't like closing off the easy access to the covered patio (we grill frequently). We could also eliminate the pantry run along the left wall, but concerned about storage.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)