SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bachinc

new home construction kitchen layout help please!!

bachinc
11 years ago

Let me start by saying that I LOVE gardenweb! My husband and I have had so many questions answers about our new home planning by frequenting this forum. Thank you!
This is, however, my first time posting a question. We have just completed the floorplans of our new home, which I am so excited about btw, but we are having a very difficult time deciding on the layout of the kitchen.
First off, I am definietly interested in function over form.
~ I would love a nice sized kitchen island with seating for five. The shape of the island doesn't really matter. I have been struggling with the idea of having a rangetop in the island as opposed to against a wall. I just don't know what would work best for our space.
~ We have three children, ages 7, 5, and 4 months. We both have very large families and we love to do a lot of informal entertaining.
~Currently, I am the only cook in our house, but the children do like to help me whenever possible. I cook almost everyday and love to have them help, but in our current home, it feels cramped. I would love for there to be rooom on the island for the children to help me, for them to do their homework or projects, and to serve as a buffet for when we entertain.
~ Currently, I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen and I would love for it to be a hang out for everyone in our family and when we have company.
~I would love to have a designated baking area, coffee area, and snack area, but I'm not sure if there is room for all of that without the flow of the kitchen being disturbed.
~For our appliances, we plan on having a 36 inch gas rangetop (not sure if that should be in the island or against the wall), a double wall oven, standard dishwasher, a shelf microwave and a french door refrigerator. If we do the rangetop in the island, we will need a good ventilation hood.
~ we have a pantry in the kitchen and I am not sure if we are going to do a standard pantry witha door or cabinet pantry (opinions on that would be greatly appreciated). We do have additional pantry storage and extra refrigerator in our mud room.
~ The windows in the kitchen must stay where they are. As far as all appliance locations and sink locations, none of that has been decided for sure.
We would like at least 4 feet between the island and the wall cabinets.
~
I have attached the 1st floor layout for any advice. In the floorplan, you may notcie there is an island and appliances drawn in, but they do not necessarily need to be in those places and the island does not even have to be shaped like that. We ar eeven opne to the idea of two islands if there is room for it: a working island and an eating island. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated and if there is anything I forgot to mention, please feel free to ask. Thanks so much in advance!!

Comments (9)