SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20091243

What would you do in this situation?

User
9 years ago

I live in a house that was just built about 2 years ago.

Up until recently, I would notice a small amount of what I thought was condensation on the window sills of north and west facing windows after heavy or windy rain. (Basically the sills were just damp enough to glisten, if that makes sense.)

A week or so ago we had a very windy thunderstorm roll through. After that I found standing water on the sills of 4 windows. The largest puddle was 14 inches long.....so obviously this is more than condensation. Apparently my new windows leak.

I have contacted the person who built my house. This is the same person who spec'ed the windows used. Hindsight being 20/20, I now wish I'd paid as much attention to the window details as I did on some other areas of the build. He used Ply Gem windows. (Yes, I can hear you all groaning now. )

He is allegedly contacting MW/Ply Gem, although his initial response was to basically tell me the leaking was normal behavior for a heavy windy thunderstorm.

So - does this sound like something that is actually "fix-able", or am I paying a heavy stupid tax for not researching quality windows before now?

If you were in my shoes, would you bite the bullet and get quality replacement windows now, or would you try to work with MW/Ply Gem first?

In case it isn't obvious, I'm not knowledgeable about windows and have no clue how to fix this or even where to start.

Comments (13)