SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ffnole_gw

What would you do in this situation?

ffnole
16 years ago

Gather around and put your feet up as you read this sad story....

We are six weeks from completion of a 15 month construction project with a custom builder on a beach vacation home. Four months ago we selected granite slabs at a large importer onsite, tagged with our name and paid a 50% deposit on an exotic Brazilian granite called Macambira for our kitchen and island. The kitchen opens into a large great room and dining room. We coordinated furniture fabrics, window treatment fabrics, interior paint, fireplace tile and cabinets to this unique specialty granite color (a cool blue-green swirl like the sea). This is the only US importer of the granite in the country. We paid the deposit to the local Granite/Tile Company directly who then, we believe, paid the importer. I have a canceled check and invoice marked paid for the deposit. My builder does not put up deposits (building on an island has its challenges).

As you might guess, we were informed today a "terrible mistake has occurred" and our slabs have been sold and installed elsewhere . They have no more Macambira in stock at their four large locations around the southeast but are checking on when the next supply is coming over "on the boat from Brazil". Our construction loan ends June 15 and extensions with rate protection will be very expensive for any delays. There is no similar granite substitute short of going to something very different. All fabrics are in production, cabinets are installed and the walls are painted.

I have a "reputable importer" (large showroom in major cities) who says a mistake was made and they will try to find a like granite but no guaranties. Our builder states it is most unfortunate but has no answers. I am primarily interested in getting the house finished to our specifications versus tying someone up in court. But we are in a bind and our interior designer is beside herself. The tile company we went through allowed the granite slabs to sit on the importers yard far too long. But they just throw up their hands. Someone sold the same piece of granite twice....which last time a checked was against the law. But that doesn't not solve our problem.

So what advice do you have at this point?

Comments (17)