SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Recommendations for low-level stair lighting?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

We have a sconce next to the top step and a flushmount at the bottom controlled by switches top and bottom. Too bright to leave on all night (DD's bedroom next to stairs). I haven't finished off the stringer, was wondering about putting rope lighting on top of stringer (gap on right side so can even tuck partially back behind if clips can be installed upside down) and maybe capping off with molding so it's *just* shining on treads and not up at ceiling. But it would pretty much be permanent if we did that. No outlet near top of stairs, but I have coat closet at bottom and full basement so I could probably fish wire to bottom of stringer fairly easily. Underside of stairs is sheetrocked but will have to pull off bottom anyway to install newel(s) so easy access from below even if I run off basement circuit. Home is modular so I don't know if trying to fish b/t top and bottom modules would be tough. Stairwell is supposed to be insulated but I can't be sure it is until I start exploring. We get draft up from basement along side of stringer where it gaps, so insulating wall doesn't do much good now anyway.

Anybody have an idea on how to just light treads a little along stringer, not each tread, just enough to have some light in the middle of the night w/o turning on sconce/ceiling lights? Should I put the stringer lights on a switch (I don't mind leaving them on all the time if energy-efficient)? I just don't want to put in something that is going to wear out soon and be a pain to replace. Also any tips on fishing wire through top/bottom modules (not front/back marriage wall, but is it built the same way?). TIA

Comments (4)