SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantingafamily

Old videos/New Stress

wantingafamily
15 years ago

My SD(18)wants to look at old videos of her, BM, and BD. She insists that her dad (my husband) take part in the activity. I guess this is normal, but I feel somewhat disrespected. I wouldn't mind if it were done when I was gone, but it's almost like it's being rubbed in my face (by step-daughter). I try to keep busy or leave when its going on, but I hate feeling so uncomfortable in my own home.

So what does everyone think? Let it go. Or ask her to play them when I'm not home out of respect?

Comments (73)

• sieryn
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Its all about her intention. As long as she's not doing it to be malicious I don't see the problem.

This is one that will make you ladies chuckle:
    My mother-in-law has two step daughters with her current husband. When they originally got married both were teenagers and gave them many many headaches. The younger of the two decided to protest the new family by hanging her mothers wedding dress in her room on display at dads house! Now that to me is the ultimate reminiscing protest!

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

Serenity and KKNY, Reverse the situation, please...Would you enjoy or tolerate DDs and Dad and SOs wedding video, should there be one, and DD is in the wedding party? Would you encourage her to play it over and over in front of you, because it is her and her dads life together..Serenity, If your stepmom wants to play her wedding video in front of you, do you let that roll off..With no feeling of..you did that to upset me?If Wanting feels SC is doing this to upset her, I feel she is probably right on target...

• Related Discussions

Pruning my old Crab Apple - Video Included!

Q

Comments (1)
    New, better video, old one was removed. Crab apple profile video
    ...See More

Old laundry video

Q

Comments (5)
    I left an old Maytag (probably early 50s) ringer washer at my old house. Sure wish I would have kept it, they make nice ice holders to keep beer and sodas cold at parties.
    ...See More

Holiday + travel to in-laws + new dog = STRESS!

Q

Comments (22)
    We just found out that Zoey is crate trained..... her foster mom never mentioned it, and told us that Zoey was used to having free run of the house. Zoey is now accustomed to using a crate as her bed, but we've never actually closed her in there. My wild imagination worried that Zoey would rattle around in the crate and scream like a banshee, but we were pleasantly surprised when we decided to close the crate door behind her. We had my folks and one of my sisters over last night for New Year's, and decided we'd put her in her crate while we were eating dinner (we don't have a dining table yet, so we balanced plates on our knees). So, I tossed a Twist 'n' Treat filled with her fav cookies into her crate, and she followed it in and didn't even know I'd closed the crate door behind her. Turned out we left her in there for 2 hours during the 3 hours my family was there, and she was as quiet as a church mouse. I even popped into the bedroom, where the crate is, a couple times to use the master bath, and she didn't make a peep. When I finally let her out, she was deep asleep, zonked out with the empty treat holder next to her. After the treats were gone, she probably just thought it was time to go to sleep, since that's what she's used to doing in her crate. Anyhoo, this is good news! Everybody was right when they said a dog has to have a place of their own to feel safe.
    ...See More

My new granite...is stressing me out

Q

Comments (48)
    Maintenance varies. As I mentioned, mine is pretty much bullet-proof. I don't seal it or do anything else "special" to it. Occasionally, if I want it to *sparkle*, I'll use Method cleaner, but by and large I just use what I used on my old laminate...detergent & water. One thing, on the laminate (and probably light-colored stones), if you overdose on the detergent you will get a detergent haze but you can't see it. I have polished Absolute Black Premium so the haze is noticeable. But, we've learned to go light on the detergent and we're fine...and we go through less detergent now as well! (The "less is more" mentality has extended to everything...an unintended good side effect!) The "being very careful" stage is just the "new car stage"...it's new and, at least for me, I'd never had stone b/f so I needed to learn what & I could & could not do on my own (I'm one of those that likes to know through experience, not just what I'm told!) What have I learned? Nothing seems to hurt my stone...I no longer worry about anything...I now treat it with even less care than I did the laminate! It's nice not worrying that I'll stain it if I leave something sit (I worried about it w/laminate all the time b/c my mother's laminate has a lot of stains...of course, it's a light tan and 39 years old! It watched six of us grow up!) [And *sigh*, I now have my first big ding on my cabinets...we've filled it in but I can still see it...no one else notices it, but I do!!!] HTH!
    ...See More
  • kkny
    15 years ago

Dotz, the point is there is no one that would want to share that with DD at my house. Trust me, I wont be in the picture. The situation with OP is DAD was in the pictures. Can you at least acknowledge that is a significant difference? That SD wants to remininsce with dad? Not just view pictures.

• imamommy
    15 years ago

This is an 18 year old girl? Not an 8 year old. Dad should give her the videos and tell her to enjoy. Most girls her age have a TV and video player in their room. She's old enough to understand that her parents are divorced and that dad has remarried. Why should dad be forced to sit through watching videos of his ex wife.

However, he is your husband now. Why would it bother you to see it? My husband found some old VHS tapes when he was cleaning his storage and one was from his 'honeymoon' with wife #1. The other was a birthday party his ex threw for him on his 30th. It was a little strange to see them kiss him when he came through the door and everyone yelled 'surprise' but it was not a big deal. There's is no doubt in my mind that he loves me and videos he made five or ten years before he met me won't change anything.

If the daughter is only trying to get a reaction (or if your husband agrees to watch them with her), then the best course is to smile gracefully and hold your hubby's hand and grab a bucket of popcorn. Once she knows what buttons to push, she may push them often and drive you crazy.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

KKNY, I can only acknowlege if you are showing the photo, or whatever with malice, its not OK...And if DD wants to show you how beautiful she looked in her gown, or how she caught the bouquet, can you graciously do so?

• athlete2010
    15 years ago

When my stepson graduated from high school, we hosted a small pary for him at our house and my wife invited her ex-husband and his parents. I think that my wife even brought out the old photo albums that include the ex-husband.

My wife organized the party and had two separate sets of family pictures taken. She could have videotaped as well, and it wouldn't have bothered me.

Maybe doing this around a birthday or special event is not such a bad idea. If the daughter is into pictures and videos, then I can't see how that would be viewed as getting back with her.

Since I've been in this situation, I'm trying to help the OP. A small party would help her because she wouldn't have to just sit there and watch any part of the video(s) that made her uncomfortable. She could come and go out of the room as she pleased and entertain her friends/family at the same time.

The daughter might get married someday, and this would be good practice for everyone in getting along when the families come together.

All of this depends on the dynamics of all the parents. So, it's only an option. There may be a lot of situations where it wouldn't work.

• imamommy
    15 years ago

"Would you enjoy or tolerate DDs and Dad and SOs wedding video, should there be one, and DD is in the wedding party? "

I have to say that when I married my DH, his ex expected to be there because their daughter was flower girl. She threw a fit when she was told she couldn't be there. Then she asked for a copy of the video because her daughter was in it. So, we gave her a copy. Whatever. Personally, I would not want to watch my ex's wedding video, but she insisted. She gave it back to him a week later and told him it didn't work in her DVD player. He gave her a different copy (our copy) and when he asked for it back, she said she's been too busy to look at it. She gave it back but with a smug attitude that it was poor quality. Again, whatever. Maybe she wanted me to protest and refuse to let her see it. I don't think she really WANTED to see it, but I wasn't going to play the game.

• ceph
    15 years ago

I'm an adult SD, as well as a FSM...
    I have no problem with seeing the odd picture of FDH and his ex (I have photos of me with exes to, after all) but I don't think I'd be thrilled about a movie marathon.
    If he had some video of his son's first birthday or something, that had him and BM in it, that would probably be ok... Especially since the more I know about A__ as a little guy, the more connected I feel to him.
    Would I be up to a video of them being interviewed about how much they love each other? (I made that up, it doesn't really exist) Not a chance.

As an adult SD, I recently made a slideshow for my dad's landmark birthday. My mom died ten years ago, and my SM was a good friend of hers, so it's not like there's hard feelings or rivalries to deal with... But I really struggled with how to balance the photos - he was with my mom for 30 years, and my SM for 8, he loves them both and has had wonderful times with both. I didn't want my SM to feel like "Oh, look at the M&J show... What about me? :(" but I also didn't want to devalue the decades he shared with my mom. I decided to just go chronologically and balance the two fairly evenly, but it was a real struggle.
    Would I have been sensitive to these issues when I was 18? I doubt it. So my guess is that SD just doesn't realize this is delicate ground.

• Ashley
    15 years ago

I like to look through old pictures with my Mom and even though she is divorced from my Dad and he is in some of the pictures, it doesn't mean that she has a problem looking at them too. I'm looking at them because I wish things were different and back to the way they were back then. It's just fun to look back. I think it really does depend on the intention of the SD. OP, do you feel she is doing this to get a rise out of you, or do you really think she is just doing it because she injoys watching the videos and wants to hear her Dad's perspective on things they are watching?

• kkny
    15 years ago

Highly unlikely that DD would be in wedding. But if she were and she wanted me to look at her dress I would. But again, ITS NOT THE SAME THING. Dad is in pictures with SD in OPs post, I am not going to be in wedding. Do you not understand it is not the same thing.

Let me try to explain.

OPs SD --- Pictures/video of SD with DAD -- wants to watch with DAD

Your hypothesis -- Pictures of DD with FSM (no me in picture)

• catlettuce
    15 years ago

I don't think this would bother me at all.

Acutally when SS's were younger , the first yr DH & I were together I found about ten boxes of photo of the kids when they were small and DH his Ex were still together.

TONS of family photos. I asked DH what he was going to do with them and he said nothing he just took them to give to the boys when they got older. So I made each of them 4 photo albums each of their growing up yr.s with Dad & Mom, then divided up the rest of the photos and gave each boy their photos-they LOVED it. And I got to see my DH looking young cute & kinda dorky (he had a mullet!lol)

I've seen the family videos usually at family functions but this never bothered me. Though I don't think they were ever played with the intent to make me feel like I didn't belong. DH & his Ex were divorced 9 yr.s before we got together. So she had already moved along with her life, a lot of these dynamics didn't apply to our situation.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

YES YES YES I can see the differences .....IN the pictures, but what I cant understand is why do you purposely want to hurt that persons feelings if they dont want to see this???? Asked DH tonight to be perfectly clear if this would be OK in his books....Confirmed, totally inappropriate, he doesnt want to sit around with my DS watching my wedding video, and I dont want to sit around with his kids watching his either..Pets or sibs, totally different story...And varnishing this with some sick , twisted oh you want to erase my past...Its unhealthy thinking, OP please dont let anyone lead you down the garden path, thinking its OK, its not......

• kkny
    15 years ago

There is a line between subtely influencing DH to deny SD her past and listening to what he wants. What about SD feelings? You have the guy. At what point is this just peeing on your territory?

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

If this is addressed to me,I really dont have territory...I basicly just want to be left alone, and so does DH, to have a relationship with SSs, seperate and apart from the territorial and crazy mother...Forging something new, so to speak, as the fathers wife.....A supportive role, no desire to usurp mother.....Altho personal opinion aside, my, my...I put my DS s welfare in front of my own, unlike what I have seen in this circus.....

• imamommy
    15 years ago

We can all have our own opinion on what WE would do, but it's ridiculous to argue what is right or wrong for someone else.

None of us know the players or family dynamics. If OP doesn't want to sit and watch videos, it does not mean she wants to erase anyone's past. It's just as likely that dad doesn't want to look at videos of his ex either. If we were talking about a young child, that is different than a practically grown woman. If SHE wants to reminisce, give her the tapes. She can watch them with her mom if her mom wants to (and her mom may not want to either). Maybe she can watch them with a friend. Some people have a nasty divorce and don't want to relive what they may consider an unhappy marriage. The child may have happy memories but that may not be the reality for the adults. At what point do (adult) kids realize that mom and dad are human and making them watch an old video that may stir up bad feelings for either one of them, just because the child wants to, well I was going to say feel better but I don't know how it would make a child feel better... a reminder of 'happy times' that will never be again. I'd think it might be more upsetting to the child, unless her intention is to upset the parent or step parent.

My sister was famous for talking about the good ol' days to my dad so she could piss off my step mom. Truth is, there were not the kind of good ol' days she described. That didn't stop my sister from starting out a 'remember when....' and try to engage my dad in a conversation where my step mom would feel left out. She enjoyed waiting until my step mom was there to do this, not when she could have been alone with my dad. There are some cruel step children that will go out of their way to be mean. I don't doubt my step mom dreaded her visits, but she never backed down and let my sister 'get to her'. She smiled gracefully and listened intently to the stories (that she must have known were BS). Sometimes, I'd think to myself that she had nerves of steel and watching her, she showed me how to have strength that comes in handy now that I am a step mom with a step daughter that tries to push my buttons now and again.

• mom2emall
    15 years ago

I know it has to be wierd to watch dh on video with his ex. But I do not see anything wierd about dh and sd watching home movies. The past is the past, and it is their past. You can not pretend it did not happen (as much as I am sure we all would like to!)

So let them watch their movies and if you do not want to see them go in the other room and do something you enjoy, or do some cleaning. Either way do not make sd feel guilty about her parents.

• kkny
    15 years ago

Ima, hard is this if for me to believe, my DD tells me my X talks about the good old days (which obviously) includes me.

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

Dotz---

To answer your question: after years of pressuring him and years of him resisting for his reasons, my Dad & stepmother married this past October, which I found out about on voice mail after the fact. She then promptly excluded me from the annual Christmas visit I've been making since I was a little girl. Since my Dad has Stage IV terminal lung cancer, this may very well have been his last Christmas alive (we can all only hope & plead that it's not).

A few months later, in March, I finally got to go visit him again. SM made a big fuss & patted herself on the back for being "thoughtful" enough to leave up the Christmas tree. Underneath and all around it were her wedding pictures. On it, front & center, was this hokey little X-mas ornament with a little reindeer "family" (4 reindeer), which had handwritten on it: "[my Dad's surname] Family Christmas 2007" and each reindeer in the happy little reindeer family was designated: "[My Dad's name]; [SM's name]; [Cat #1's name]; [Cat #2's name]". Get it? My name wasn't on there. For one gleaming Christmas, SM could pretend I wasn't part of the family, or that I didn't exist. Naturally, she wanted to make sure I saw how much she appreciated it.

Around March 2008, I had to get a phone call from my Dad telling me how "saddened" SM was that I never took it upon myself to personally congratulate her on her ambush wedding after I found out about it via voicemail and after she excluded me from "[my dad's surname] Family Christmas 2007". I promptly sent her a card.

Just after that I was up again to visit. Once again, I have seen all the wedding pictures, the marriage license, and heard plenty of talk about the wedding. All pictures of me had been removed from sight except for one, tucked into a corner without a frame.

So yes, of course, I perceive it as pretty evident that SM ---at least in part--- wants to make herself feel important, specifically *MORE important* than me, by engaging in these grandiose displays of territorial pi$$ing. Especially when they work in tandem with removal of evidence that I exist, especially in my father's last days. I personally find it obnoxious and insensitive, and I don't enjoy seeing her wedding photos because she's just not my favorite person. I feel that she knows this and that her displays are thus not *purely* lovey-dovey or marital-bliss-related and not *all* genuinely about loving my dad (in keeping with everything else about her).

But I do think she has *some* real love for him, in her way, and that *some* of her feelings are genuine. And I know that when people get married they are generally very happy about it and want to share their happiness with others. Specifically, in this case, I have chosen to foucus on the part of it that is a happy time, namely where my dad is concerned. While I think my SM's displays are calculated, excessive and indicative of deep insecurity and territirial-dominance issues on her part, at the same time I wouldn't expect this stuff to be HIDDEN from me. Or for anyone to go out of their way to AVOID talking about the wedding or anything, just because I personally am not thrilled about it.

In other words, I have no right to object to or censor these dispalys. I only have the right to control my own reactions to them. I take responsibility for the fact that it is ME who has the discomfort with their marriage, and I can't make them censor themselves about it for my sake. So I don't give it any power to upset me. If she feels such an insecure need to "prove" her dominance or her "wifely power" or whatever the heck she thinks she needs to prove, that impulse is controlling HER and her actions. It doesn't have to control me. She is the one debasing whatever "pure" love & happiness & goodness the marriage entails by exploiting it as a display. She cheapens her own blessed event to the point where there isn't any further NEED for me to object to it.
    Does that make sense?

It would be the same principle with OP's SD, if in fact her intentions are shady (or partially shady). To whatever extent or percentage that these intentions are corrupted by selfish ugliness, they cheapen their own memories. Staying aware of that helps you deal with it much better, believe me.

• colleen777
    15 years ago

Geezuz serenity. Now you assigning shady, corrupt, selfish, ugly intentions to WAF because you are projecting. She said she supposed it was normal, which it is. Even when it is done to purposely make you feel bad it still is normal or not so many people would have the same experience. She was only looking for other people's input, and you went way over the top.

That's nice KKNY. Is DD allowed to talk to you about the good new days with dad to you? GASP.

• monoral75
    15 years ago

Oh KKNY,
    I'm sure you have Miss Giveme Giveme (DD) Well trained in the Stepbrat, Stepmother Terrorising and Entitlement arts by now. You've already got her eyes trained on her old mans house when she turns 25. She's a real BB in training (Bio-B****h) ready to take over for mommy KKNY!
    Now are you going to train her to fly her broom and nag men to death yourself or are you sending her to TOS for specialist training?
    Are you going to demard Ex pay 75%?

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

Colleen, not sure how you figure that I'm assigning shady intentions to Wantingafamily. I said that *IF* Wantingafamily's *STEPDAUGHTER* has shady intentions, that letting it roll is in my opinion the best way to deal with it.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

Serenity,I m sure you re not aware of it, but what you have written in the past has influenced me heavily in my thoughts with SS..Even as I read your last post(Christmas decorations etc)is there something I ve done to offend him still comes to mind.....But I have to say, for every good intention I ve had, he made me feel you just dont belong here...With putting his needs, his feeling first, from reading libraries of books to improve relationship, from actually recovering from gross insults and still being able to like him, My DH of 3 and half years is a sick man, SSs wife asked did I call SSs mother yet when he was in the hospital in critical condition, I guess she was supposed to step in and take over...See, because I(his wife) am invisible, what do I have to do with my husband? I know you dislike your stepmother intently, maybe she has given ample reasons to, over the years..I feel this is not the case here , only in his minds eye...SS has not spoken to his Dad in a year and a half now...I feel this kid has to grow up and acknowlege that dad and I also have a bond, and its not all about him, and certainly not at all about dad him and his mother...She s been out of the picture for ten years......

• kkny
    15 years ago

Colleen, SD can talk to me about whatever she wants. As a teenager, the highlite of her day is not time with any parent. Dad can reminisce with her about whatever he wants. She does ask me about parties we used to go to etc, the type of thing that would interest a teenager. Maybe he is just trying to find things to talk to her about. I dont think he entertains much anymore because anytime I asked if I could have stuff like punch bowls, he said fine, come get it.

Monoral,

Actually, my DD is at work right now, as I presume is TOS. SM is at pool. So pls tell me who is Ms. Gimme gimmee.

I am not certain any outsiders really understand family dymanics.

• serenity_now_2007
    15 years ago

Dotz---

Maybe you ARE dealing with an extremely difficult person. Maybe you won't be able to win no matter what you do. Sometimes it really ISN'T anything you've done. I think that's a possibility no matter what "side" of the step situation you're in. I think there's likely just as many impossible-to-please stepchildren as there are impossible-to-please step-parents, bio-parents, siblings, etc. If you know in your heart that you have no bad intentions and have done your absolute best, that's what matters because at least you will be at peace with yourself. It's been an incredibly hard lesson for me to learn that I just can't please everyone and that not everyone is going to like me. Which hurts because I really like being liked! :) But it's true for everybody. You do your best and make conscionable decisions and that's all you can do. The hard thing is when the conscionable thing to do makes you feel distinctly unpleasant doing it but you know you have to do it.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

Monoral, that is hilarious.......KKNY This is getting too Freudian.....The punchbowl???? As in you dont entertain anymore, because no one likes your girlfriend, but as for myself, I have friends and I m throwing a party?????? From your posts, I can tell your are a highly intelligent woman, but be careful treading Ex and GF...Your motives are showing....

• kkny
    15 years ago

What are you talking about? I am on a budget. When he told me he wanted a divorce, I left. What is the big deal with asking for stuff that was arguable both of ours so I dont have to buy it. Fact is, I dont know if he entertains, or if he does, does he do in restaurant or at hoem, and dont care. Fact is, I dont want to spend my money if I dont have to. Actually I asked to borrrow stuff, and he said, he doesnt use it take it.

I think your motives are more clear. Xwife should spend her money event if she doesnt need to. No worry, I am not intimidated by your ludicrous conclusions.

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

Jontathan likes to get on here and read some of the posts sometimes and last night he stumbled across this one.

He said he would rather die than sit and watch videos with his ex in them....hahaha. He said what IMA said, "here you go kiddo's, take them to school with you and enjoy". I guess it depends on the individual family dynamics. If it was a gross erlationship chances are you are NOT going to want to relive it...not even for the kids sake. He also said it should bot be going on around the wife...he felt it was disrespectful and rather insensitive and questioned the kids motives. His words was "that kid ain't dumb. She's just rubbing her stepmom's nose in the past."

I kindof have to agree. There's no pressing need for video night to take place in that house around the wife.

• kkny
    15 years ago

My X apparently does watch videos with me in them -- becuase they have DD in them. Everyones different.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

I think the hardest part of this situation is feeling guilty warranted or not(as I feel) that DH and son dont have a good relationship because of his loyalty bond to his mother.......KKNY Curiosity is killing me...If you had no part in the demise of your marriage, why did you have to leave your home? And why at the time of divorce did you not split up your possesions? I m assumming its been years since the divorce and those pesky details would surely be sorted out by now.....And I absolutely would buy a new item rather than ask X for anything..Its not good form.....

• kkny
    15 years ago

I made a decsiion to leave as I wanted my share of $$ and to own a home I could afford near where DD is going to school. X remortgage house so I could take my share of money. Its hard to remember 25+ years worth of stuff. X said I could have whatever I wanted of lets call it general stuff. I dont break into his home, I email him and ask. If he didnt want me to have it, he would say so.

"Its not good form" Who are you? Emily Post -- Lets get this straight, its OK for him to have an affair, OK for his SO to have affair with married man, OK for him not to see his DD much, yayadady and your are critizing me re a bowl? Not too one-sided are you.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

My point .......After all he s done to you, you would grovel for a punchbowl?Its called pride KKNY, not spending money

• kkny
    15 years ago

Its not groveling. Its a sending an email. May I borrow x. I get a reply it says take it, I dont need it. I have to question why you would care, other than more stuff that goes to me, less to SM. By your token, I shouldnt ask Dad for anything DD may want. ASK does not equal GROVEL.

• steppschild
    15 years ago

Wanting:

I'm sure somebody will try to label me as a hypocrite because I mentioned in a recent post something about not being included in family photos, which I found to be "hurtful and not right". I stand by my statement that it wasn't right because I was in the family for several years at this point, it has happened repeatedly and I am the only person who is exclusively excluded from photos.

That being said, I have seen video and photos from long before I was in the picture. It didn't bother me, and in fact, some of it was really funny because everyone had changed so much in appearance (we were all laughing). SD's were the ones who initiated the show and tell, albeit they were tweens at the time. I think they just wanted to look at their past and would have shown it to anyone. Hopefully your SD isn't being malicious and I guess you would only truly know that. Either way, try not to make too big a deal about it, especially if she's trying to get a rise out of you.

I do agree with IMA, she is old enough to watch them on her own.

• kathline
    15 years ago

I find it incredibly tacky when people attack another poster's child.

Whatever anyone thinks of KKNY, its disgusting to make comments such as this -

"Oh KKNY,
    I'm sure you have Miss Giveme Giveme (DD) Well trained in the Stepbrat, Stepmother Terrorising and Entitlement arts by now. You've already got her eyes trained on her old mans house when she turns 25. She's a real BB in training (Bio-B****h) ready to take over for mommy KKNY "

By everything I have read, KKNY's daughter seems to be a hard working, well adjusted person who has not cut her father out of her life, and who is functioning just fine. KKNY herself has not ran her former husband into the ground financially, preferring instead to transfer the right to her former husbands assets to her daughter, and to provide for herself.

I have to wonder what the motive is for denigrating someone's child.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

I laughed when I read it...I think it was a stepmother who has been terrorized(as she puts it)and was reacting to KKNY past posts denigrating stepmothers..I dont think she was attacking the child at all...Just forming her opinion on how KK would raise her child(facetiously) from past posts....

• kkny
    15 years ago

Kathline, thank you for the kind words. Apparently when a mom sticks up for a child she can be regarded as deserving of foul language (directed at both her and her child).

Dotz, I think the comments and the language used speak for themelves and to the writer or anyone who found it humerous.

I also suspect that there are just as many if not more children who have been terrorized by SMs as vice versa.

• dotz_gw
    15 years ago

I suspect plenty of people laughed, if they would admit it....The bad language part I will agree with you on that, dont like that.....

• doodleboo
    15 years ago

I agree. Families are all different. It depends on the dynamics of each situation. Obviously the girls mom has caused many a tear to be shed and many sleepless nights here so neither I Or Jonathan even want to see her face.

It may be different for other families though.

Some step parents don't get bothered by the pics and videos and some do. It should all be considered on an individual basis and be worked out so EVERYONE in the blended family feels respected. That may mean biting the bullet and watching the videos or politely telling the daughter it isn't a good idea...it all depends on the scenario and intent.

• athlete2010
    15 years ago

As a husband and father, I think that the post directed at kkny and her child was wrong and way out of line.

I agree with doodleboo that there is no right or wrong solution for the OP. She should have many options to consider and pick one that is right for her situation.

I'm hoping that the OP posts again and lets us know what she decided.

• kkny
    15 years ago

Yes, I would like to hear back from OP. I keep hearing the disrespect word here and it covers a lot of territory. Its easy for a tit for tat environment to develope, but either person can elimiante it. I think there is no reason that OP cant go to her DH and tell him the truth, that she finds watching these tapes uncomfortable, but I hope she would also add she wants her DH to have a relationship with her DAD and if their watching the tapes togethor helps them keep a bond, they should do it. Sometimes it get hard to talk to teens -- they have their own interests, etc. Just becuase SD can watch the tapes at her house doesnt mean she should. I think a lot of parents are happy when teens want to spend time with them.

• Ashley
    15 years ago

Your post about the Christmas Ornament reminds me of something my FMIL did. She does not like her SS for things that happened back when he was a teenager and she hasn't let go of all of that yet. I don't think she will because she's constanly focused on having a perfect little life and a perfect little family. She feels that she is right to stand her ground while her husbands relationship with his son suffers...pretty selfish if you ask me. Anyhow...she has hundreds of pictures on her walls, some even include FDH's Dad (her Ex-Husband)with FDH and his brother and there aren't any of her SS. She also has this Santa thing she hangs up at Christmas time that says "The Smith's" (her new husband's surname) at the top and lists herself, hubby, and her 2 son's below, but nothing with SS's name. Her sons don't even go by that last name.

I don't get it when people act like that.

Sorry to get off topic, but I wanted to share that one.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

it might not be disrepsctful, but SM has rights not to watch what she does not want. if SM does not want to watch the videos, then she should not be forced to do so. she should be able to tell her DH that she does not want to see the videos and SD can show it at the other time or different location. it does not matter why SM does not want to see the videos, she simply does not. SD should be able to share her videos with whoever is interested to see them: mom, dad, siblings...no one who does not want to see it should be forced. Simple as that.

I found comments re kkny and her daughter rude and inappropriate. no, it was not funny whatsoever.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

Pick on a post, pick on a poster if you need, but do not pick on a poster's child. Uncool.

• stepmomofthree
    15 years ago

I have a biological daughter along with three stepkids. If my biological daughter wanted to look at photos of me and her biological father, I would assume that it was because she wanted some information about her past. I'd probably go through some photos with her, but I'd do it privately and I'd be careful not to turn it into a nostalgia fest.

I would expect my husband to do the same thing with his three kids. Share some history with them, but avoid turning it into a celebration of their life before the divorce.

The bottom line is, our blended family is our family now. Any celebrations of family life should be focussed on our blended family - not the previous families that blew apart.

• kkny
    15 years ago

I think it is hard to draw lines. What about videos of religous ceremonies, graduations? These are normally celebratory events. Agreed, if SM doesnt feel comfortable watching, no one should make her.

• theotherside
    15 years ago

Are you saying that the children have no right to celebrate events of their childhood, to walk down memory lane and recall fond memories? Why can't they celebrate their life before the divorce? The divorce wasn't their doing; they had a life before the divorce, a life that mattered to them.

How is it any different than your husband fondly recalling his childhood, or watching videos of his high school days before he knew you? Your husband's life did not begin the day he met you, and neither did his children's lives. If you don't like watching the video, don't watch it. Leave the room, read a book, whatever.

• imamommy
    15 years ago

yes TOS, that is what everyone is saying.

• Ashley
    15 years ago

I always find it strange when somebody posts a question and asks for opinions, but never seems to answer any of the follow-up questions...like they never really wanted to know the answer in the first place...funny huh?

• kkny
    15 years ago

Ima, it is not what everyone is saying. It is not what I am saying. Others say it depends on motivation.

Ima, my guess is that your SD doesnt have many of these videos we are talking about. A child whose parents divorced at an early age is less likely . Divorced parents may each take their own videos. My X has videos like his brothers wedding -- with me in it, with DD flower girl, religous ceremonies, etc.

• finedreams
    15 years ago

kkny I think imamommy was being sarcastic because it is clearly not what everyone is saying.

raek, I wonder sometimes when people post and then dissapear is that because situation is all made up and fake, especially when posters are newly registered. maybe they just throw something controversal at us and then watch how we all debate the issue, they in a mean time are enjoying the show.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio