SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imjustinjk

Basement renovation stresses in our old brick colonial.

Justin James
8 years ago

The only positive thing that the basement has going for it is that it's 7 feet tall (I'm 6'4). I'm moving back in with my father, and we've agreed that the basement would a good space for me to live until I finish college in a couple years (and hopefully for not too longer after that). This coincided with him purchasing a new (old) home closer to the city. After merging two homes and different styles of decor, we immediately began renovations on the basement.

The inspector beforehand revealed water leaking into the basement, which isn't uncommon in the area. He however didn't tell us anything about mold issues - which I guess we were just blindly hopefully convincing ourselves didn't happen. The basement was waterproofed, and we were none the wiser. In came our contractor, and like a typical HGTV house reno, it snowballed out of control from something cosmetic, to my dad having to drop increasingly large amounts of money on the basement.

We lost the beautiful, irreplaceable wall paneling, but saved most of the trimming. After yanking down the awful fluorescent lighting today, another expense hit us. Electrical work :/.

We were wanting to put up some nice, custom wainscoting and some nice flooring down. But it looks like the drywall and the seemingly newer carpet that was down there (that miraculously seems to be the only thing that wasn't damaged!) will have stay for a while. There's so much character in the home throughout the formal rooms, bedrooms, etc. that we fell in love with. And now the basement will be lacking most of that.

Gutted

Partially fixed.

The grave site of the fluorescent lighting that has brought us more doom.

Totally venting right now. Hoping nothing else goes awry.

Comment