SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

DIY Re...novation? Remodel? of Main Bath in a 1920 Colonial Revivial

vjrnts
7 years ago

We live in a 1920-vintage Colonial Revivial, which we love. We've tried to choose colors and styles for various projects (like the kitchen) that blend modern function with a respectful awareness of the past. However, we've had to made do with some ill-advised (to us) changes made by previous owners. To wit: our main bath once had white subway tile all around the room, to a height of about 4 feet. Above that was plaster with a hand-painted seascape. A PO took down the subway tile and all the plaster, put up marine drywall and square, cobalt blue tiles, to varying heights along two walls. They left, thank heaven, the cast-iron apron-front tub and the small shower stall, but took out the original sink (which, judging by other houses in the neighborhood of similar vintage was either a pedestal or wall-hung sink with chrome legs. They replaced it with a vanity with a powder-blue lavatory sink and an off-white Formica countertop. The old hex-tile floor is still there, as is some of the original base molding.

I'm trying to think of a way to revive this bath. The vanity has to go (the veneer is peeling, and besides, it just looks like heck), and what replaces it depends on what they did to the floor underneath it. More concerning, though, is that blue tile. I really hate it. I want the subway tile back, but right now I don't think I can afford to have a contractor do the work.

So, here's my plea. First, how difficult is it to remove old tile, repair/prepare the wall surface, and retile? I'm not an accomplished DIYer, but I can follow directions. Second, if this is a no-go, what in the world can I do in decorating to minimize the impact of that tile. We have nothing else in the house that is blue. We have a really nice warm tan in the hallways, and it think it's jarring to go from that palette to blue and white.

I'm really stumped. Help? Here are some pictures. (My husband is a kayak racer and is out paddling several times a week as long as there is no ice on the Genesee River, so that's why his dry suit is hung in various pieces around the perimeter!)

Comments (6)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I doubt that sink is original, more likely from the 40s/50s or so. The very first thing I would do is get rid of the wallpaper, and I would go with a pedestal or console sink if you want to revert to a 20's feel.

Here's some inspiration for you to get ideas:

http://antiquehomestyle.com/inside/bathrooms/1920s/index.htm

They have a big gallery to look through.

However, I would have to say that as far as retiling a bath, if you've never done anything like this and are not a big DIYer, I would go for professional help there once you've decided what to do, even if you have to wait and save up. That's a pretty big project to tackle as a first go.

Put in a pedestal sink, paint it white, and save your pennies till you can do the rest right. I'm not saying it's impossible as a DIY, just that it's a big ol' project and you don't know what you'll find once the tile is out, either.

vjrnts thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • vjrnts
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, I'm well aware that the sink is not original; as I said above, I'm pretty sure that the original was either a pedestal sink or a wall-hung sink with chrome legs. Yeah, that vanity's got to go! The wallpaper too. Thanks for the link; I'll take a look!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sorry, I missed that part. Anyway, here are some killer vintage redos:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/brand-new-colorful-bathrooms-that-look-vintage-or-retro-235959

but you'll save plenty if you're sure yours was still from the Sanitary Bath period (very early 20s) with plain white tile.

vjrnts thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • vjrnts thanked Hunzi
  • Fori
    7 years ago

I think you can do this without a lot of outside contracting.

If the tub and shower are good and the plumbing is where you want it, it's "all" cosmetics. Tiling walls isn't hard if you don't have to be concerned about waterproofing. Just need good prep work if it's not even under the wallpaper and old tiles. The blue tiles might come off easy and they might come off hard. So there may be some drywall repair in your future. You can probably find a decent match for the floor tile although getting new ones in place (or damaged old ones out) could be tricky.

Do you have another bathroom to use while this one is out?

I'd start with pulling off the wallpaper and tile. Then you'll have a better idea of how awesome it'll look gone. And (no offense) it won't look that much worse with a little demo in progress. :)

You probably want to call in an electrician when you get your plan laid out...get some modern plugs and lighting and put in a ceiling fan if you can vent it.

vjrnts thanked Fori