SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

PT rotten after 6 years

jjaazzy
11 years ago

So I rebuilt my upstairs deck with my DH back in 06, it happened over the course of a year or so. We tiled the deck and made the underside watertight for a grilling area.
I used Lowes PT for all wood used. I was repainting the deck and noticed some areas of rot. So I pulled this section out. Upon further inspection I find that there is so much rot I have to rebuild the entire bottom portion. Then I start looking and some of the spindles are completly rotted up inside the center. Not the outside the center, where the screw was. So I suspect it was the fastners I used had some sort of melt down. So now what? I called Lowes and the young guy never heard of such a thing but he just started working there. I found a web site that mentioned after 2002 they changed PT properties and you have to use special screws. I used galvanized deck screws...... I went on Lowes web site and their deck screws state use with PT and have a 10 year warranty. Anyone have any personal experiance with this...... I can't believe all that work and I am looking at such a potential mess.

Comments (7)