SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dodahdude

3 way garage lights

dodahdude
15 years ago

I have a bad "duplex" type "duel" switch. Two switches controlling two different lights all in one unit. One side of the unit controls two shared lights in the garage. And the other side controls the inside hallway leading into the house from the garage. In the garage I have one on-off switch for those lights and in the house I have another single next to the kitchen to turn off the hallway lights. Both switches are used when entering and existing the house.

The house was built in 1977 and everything has worked fine until last week. The inside switch controlling the garage lights froze in place and will not move. I went to our local electrical supplier and proceeded to change out the faulty switch. I removed one wire from the old switch and installed it to the new switch. All wires removed one at a time.

Turning on the breaker the following happened. Both opposite single switches are functional. The one in the hallway and the one in the garage. The new duel switch duplex does not operate. I did remove the tab between the two black screws that connected the two switches. The new switch looks like the old switch. Two black screws on one side and four copper screws on the other. Where did I go wrong? Could the new switch be faulty?

Comments (6)