SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onyxspiral

Help, my house has no Network Interface Device! (NID)

onyxspiral
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post, but I didn't see one specifically dedicated to "Phones" (unless I'm blind).

Anyway, my problem is this: I have phone service through an ISP. Not my local phone company. Although my service works fine, it only works for one jack in my house. That is the jack that came with the box that it runs off through the internet. As far as I know I'm supposed to be able to connect that box to a wall jack in my house and it should allow any jack in the house to connect a phone to it. However that is not the case. So I went to my providers website and their installation guide says I have to disconnect the phone company from my house's wireing. That is find the NID and unplug the supposed two phone jacks inside it. Only one prob, the local phone company doesn't provide an NID to this house and the wiring box that does have their name stamped on it has nothing but a bunch of wires coming into it. I can clearly see one of the wires runs up into the cieling which I can guess is the wiring to my house. But everything inside that box is disconnected. If there is anyone who can provide me with a useful way to "activate" the phone jacks in my house so that I may use them, please respond. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Sincerely,

Onyx

Comments (8)