SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayberrygardener

How best to repair antique table

mayberrygardener
10 years ago

Well, it was bound to happen, in this horrifically dry climate, but my table has come apart in pieces, and as I look at how it was constructed, it appears as if the only thing holding it together was some wood glue. One entire side has come off; one top piece, one drop leaf, and the leg, all still (so far) firmly attached to itself.
A little background: I have a knock-off Duncan Phyfe style table, of unknown date/wood/origin. The table has a drop-leaf on both sides, and pulls apart in the middle to insert up to 3 leaves. I live in Colorado, where the climate is VERY dry, 11% humidity seems high in the winter time. Anyway, I was moving the table the other night, and it literally fell apart. The top piece was glued to the bars that slide out when it's being extended to insert the leaves, in two places on each of the two slides, and this is where the glue came off, four places total, approximately 2X3" areas.
I would like to repair this myself, but I'm not a carpenter, so I'm asking for some advice. What kind of glue is best, and will simple glue be enough to hold it? How can I clamp it, considering that there is a 4" apron and the places where it needs to be attached are easily 8-10 inches in from the edge anyway? Would putting some weight on top be adequate? The wood is very old and dry, and there isn't a lot of residue from the old glue at all which leads me to think that they probably used a glue that isn't even legal anymore. I'm terrified to drill holes to hold it, as the wood is so dessicated...
Any advice is appreciated, and if I'm able to figure out how to post pictures, I'll get some up this evening.
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: example of my table

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz