SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Help: Did I destroy my dining table? Long with pics

nosoccermom
12 years ago

Please help me rescue this table: I am trying to refinish a dining table I bought on CL. The table top was extremely scratched and had some paint splatters on it. Initially, I was under the assumption that I'm dealing with solid wood; however, now I think it is veneer. So, anyways, I started sanding the table top. It looks to me like the frame around the table is solid oak, the table top walnut (?) veneer. Here's a picture of the table top with what I think is the solid oak frame:

{{!gwi}}

It looks greyer than in real life.

Another picture of the veneer (?) top:

{{!gwi}}

The two extension leaves were a lot darker. For one I used lacquer thinner and then very lightly sanded. For the other I used an orange stripper, which didn't remove any of the stain at all.

Extension leave with table frame and table top (table top, frame, extension; from top to bottom):

{{gwi:1591469}}

Notice the three different colors and the somewhat blotchy table top.

For the table legs, I also used a lacquer thinner, but there really wasn't much lacquer on it.

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1591470}}

And, finally, there's a piece (solid) from somewhere under the table. For that I only used lacquer thinner:

{{!gwi}}

Overall, I'm trying to achieve a more rustic look for the table and want all parts pretty much the same darker color, kind of like the table legs.

1. Can I somehow stain the lighter parts the same color as the legs and that piece of extension? or:

2. Do I have to keep on sanding to get everything totally light and then start restaining?

3. What's the best stain to use? Walnut and then let it sit longer on the lighter pieces?

4. Initially, I wanted to finish with Tung oil. Does that work with a veneer? Or can I use a stain with ply varnish? Or:

5. Do I have to throw out the table?

Thank you!

Comments (17)