SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharlanet

Wedding reception in my backyard. Can you help?! (pics & long)

sharlanet
16 years ago

First, let me say, sorry this is so long!

We will be having a wedding reception in our backyard in July (Point of the Mountain area) and I'm not much of a gardener. We had our backyard professionally landscaped about 2 1/2 years ago. We told the landscaper it had to be low maitenance and I think he did a pretty good job. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE flowers but don't know how to take care of them and don't have a lot of time either. I'm posting some pics of our yard and would love some feedback what I could do to make it more appealing.

The blue arrows mean it's a quite wet area since it gets splashing and water from the pool.

The yellow arrows mean I'd love to add some flowers or color but not desperate because there's shrubs.

The shrubs where the BIG blue arrow is haven't done well. Some died and the ones that survivied are just really tiny. I don't think they like being so wet in clay soil. Any ideas what I could plant here?

{{gwi:1321878}}

Here's that same area where the shrubs are really small. These are the big shrubs that have done a little better. The expanse of bark isn't an eyesore, but it's not beautiful either! Yellow arrows are along the east fence.

{{gwi:1321879}}

This is our west fence- it gets a little splash from the pool but not too much.

{{gwi:1321880}}

Here's the spot that needs the most help. The orange arrow. Our trampoline is in this corner. There is gravel under most of it, but there is a small strip of dirt with nothing. Last year, we had cattails suddenly come up in the dirt area, and thought it was pretty at first, but then they started taking over everywhere. So this year, we won't let that happen. I think there is an underground spring in this dirt/gravel area because it's always WET! In the future, we plan to make that back corner raised garden beds but it's not happening in the NEAR future. Do we use bark over the dirt strip in the mean time? How do we prevent the cattails from coming back? The blue arrow is again the wet area where the shrubs have died or are tiny.

{{gwi:1321882}}

I would like to add some flowers and color to the bed areas but since there's so much bed area, I don't know if I can afford to put in enough flowers to make a statement. I don't want it to look sparse like I tried and didn't succeed. Are there any cheap flowers that fill up alot of space and spread by mid-July? Any flowering plants that do well in our area? Or should I just leave it with the shrubs since it doesn't look too bad? If you recommend anything, please use simple English because, like I said, I'm not a gardener. ;) The beds all pretty much get full sun.

Here's the one corner that does look decent- this picture was spring of last year and I don't remember how long things were in bloom, but it seems like something was blooming pretty much all summer so I think it'll be okay.

{{gwi:1321884}}

Thanks for any suggestions you have!! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Comments (18)

Sponsored