SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_gw

Help! I don't want window treatments (6 pics)... long post.

kats
16 years ago

It's a new year and a new home and now we have to look at getting new window treatments due to a strong southern sun issue. Thing is...I don't want them. I love my windows. They're 9 lite marginals with thick wood stained jambs and I think prettier than any treatment could ever be. In every room I have 9 lite French doors that open on to our back porch. I want inviting rockers outside each. The view is what we built our home for and I hate the thought of covering it up. Privacy is NOT an issue due to the position of the house. Even the 8 guests we've had stay with us opted to NOT use a decorative screen in the guestrooms to cover the French doors b/c they liked laying in bed looking out.

So, here's my dilemma....

***I REALLY cannot picture curtains with our rustic mexican type furniture and heavy leather couches.

***We use our French doors, (all of them, daily) so I need something for them that won't obstruct the view but will make it easy to open and close them.

***On the upper GR windows I'd like to close them only as needed due to the sun. Maybe two hours in the morning and then again in the evening. The sun is already affecting our wood floor and makes morning TV viewing impossible. But I have to be able to reach them or do a motorized shade like a friend mentioned (don't know how bulky those might be).

***The sun in our game room is already affecting our pool table felt and our carpet. Those treatments could be like the normal French door hour-glass type.

***Although not a privacy issue, I would like something on the guest bath window.

***The only real privacy issue we have is the front of the house in our hallway. We have two windows on each end of the house where you can see the street and the occasional passing car.

I'm really hoping you guys have some suggestions for me or those that know photoshop might help me visualize different treatments.

My apologizes for such a long post and lots of pictures.

Thanks for looking.....

Greatroom showing upper unreachable windows and lower French doors..

TV sun issue (normally worse but taken on a foggy morning)

Stained JAMPS...

Gameroom....

Guest bathroom window....

Hall Windows showing street....

Comments (24)