SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom1sm2

Who should discipline

mom1sm2
15 years ago

HI

I saw on another post that one of the posters said that the father of a stepson should discipline and not the SM.

I hear Dr.Phil say this a lot. Every time I hear this it makes me laugh a little and also wonder...

What do you do in a situation where you come into this child's life early on or you are the only parent at home with that child all day. What then?? Obviously no one means to let the kid do whatever they want, but it seems like a slippery slope to me! For example take me, I have been in my SS's life since he was barely 4. He does not remember a whole lot of his life without me or his stepdad. I am with him alone A LOT when he is hear. Furthermore, I have another child and will be having more in the future. I personally think that because I came in when my SS was young, his mom has never had any issues with me discipling him, and the fact that I have another kid means I discipline and my husband disciplines. I am not talking about spanking or anything I am talking about making rules, enforcing them, and giving consequences when they are not followed.

I do believe that if you come into a skids life when they are older say like maybe 8 you have to back off and let dad or mom do the disciplining. I think this way mostly because they have lived a long time without you in their life and may resent any attempts at discipline at least for a while. That is not to say, however, that I feel in that situation a parent should be walked on.

I just believe that it is not fair to my other kids if I discipline them and wait until their dad gets home to discipline SS. I also wonder what kind of a message is that sending to my SS. Kids want structure and rules and such and I feel like in the eventual sense it would make him resent me if he felt that I did not care enough to discipline him. I also think that it would draw a line between our family a yours and ours type of line that we are trying to avoid.

Also, there are no rules or suggestions about taking your skids out to have fun so why is there a rule or suggestion to not discipline them??

I was just wondering what others thoughts were on this as I hear it often. I think it depends on the situation, the skid, the age of skid, and family situation in general.

Comments (13)