SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_4

complications of discipline

mom_of_4
16 years ago

Yestureday, I am at work and I get a call from hubby. He asks me how my day is going and what am I up too. (Not a whole lot these days it seems like work is my vacation since school is out and I work for a non profit that works with the school system but anyways... ) So I step outside and talk to him and he asks me So, do you want to know how stupid ex is? (Usually this has a very interesting story following)

Apparently that morning the oldest was caught setting a piece of plastic on fire. Ex called my hubby to tell him about it.... hubby tells her that she needs to get his butt for that... hubby gets on phone with oldest gets onto him... blah blah blah.... then she (ex) proceeds to tell him that she is going to take oldest to spend his gift card he got for his birthday (two months ago) later that day... Hubby tells ex.... thats not a good idea it is sending the wrong message... he got in trouble now he gets to do what he wants. Ex says well I am going to do it anyways.... I grounded him for a week so he understands he is in trouble.

So, I am listening to this and I just keep thinking why did she call him for this.... She doesnt want to listen to what he says ... she is going to let oldest go out and do what he wants to do later... what is the point?

I told hubby look, next time she calls wanting you to get onto to the kids about something tell her to handle it. She is their mom. I dont call him when the kids are with me and ask him to handle it. I handle the situation... she needs to do the same... the kids need to learn to respect her.. if kids (esp boys) cant respect their mom ... what women will they be able to respect... its a bad precident to set.

I also, told him... if oldest calls wanting to come back home he needs to tell oldest he will still be grounded at our house too. We will not be used to escape punishment especially for something that major. Hubby kind of ummed and mmmed about it saying well if she is going to let him get off why should we enforce it. I told him that because someone needs to be the person to teach him a lesson. And he was like so basically, I get to be the bad guy... I said yes we will be the bad guys if it means he leaves lighters alone and understands how serious this is.

I don't know... I know exactly what is going to happen... he is going to come home... mom will have let go of punishment let him do whatever... hubby will talk to him but that will be it... and this is so not okay... This was a major deal especially since we just got onto him a few days earlier for finding a lighter and playing with it.

I know when I go home today there is like a 99% chance oldest will have come home (since youngest is coming home today anyways) and he will be doing whatever.

I am frustrated ....

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor