SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adewvall

Awkward Living Room Seeks Attractive Floor Plan for Fun- and more

adewvall
11 years ago

I feel like I am writing a personal ad for my living room - I'm just hoping that the "right" floor plan exists for this awkward space.

My living room is an awkward pass-through with 3 different entrances including the front door, a large window, a fireplace, angled walls, and an open railing overlooking a staircase that leads downstairs. (Beyond the staircase is another large window open to the front porch - so this area feels very open indeed)

On the other end, this area is open to the dining area as well. The pros: It gets lots of natural light and we spend a lot of time in this space even though we have larger living areas elsewhere in the house due to the fact that I spend a lot of time cooking, etc. We need an entry area, room for lighting, and a place to lounge. We have two large dogs and go in and out through the front door quite a bit to walk them, etc. In the future, we'll add a baby to the family, and the nursery is through the "hallway" marked on the diagram, as is my office. The bedroom plan is split so the master is behind the dining room and this adds up to a lot of traffic through this room. There is only one wall big enough to hold a tv - the wall adjoining the fireplace - and currently we have a 52" flat screen there for practicality's sake. We probably will keep a tv in this room - during football season especially it gets a lot of viewership.

We plan to paint ceilings (after adding/moving lights if necessary), paint all trim white, replace blinds, and downsize the fireplace hearth (right now it projects nearly two feet into the room). We're putting in dark hardwood floors throughout the upstairs and hope that it helps lend a feeling of unification. The walls are currently pale grey but I think I'll paint them darker - they feel a bit too washed out.

Help me! What should we do? We're ready to buy new furniture, update, etc. so I'm open to anything! Our biggest challenge is knowing what furniture should go in this space. I can provide a list of what we have/what we're considering, but I'd rather find out what you'd suggest with a blank slate to work with. Our style is sort of a twist on coastal/lakehouse/ski chalet/Crate and Barrel. Clean-lined but relaxed.

Thank you to any kind souls who offer ideas or suggestions. I am at a loss! Nothing feels right.

Comment (1)