SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Living Room Desperately Seeking New Paint Color

anele_gw
10 years ago

ETA: My pictures are now in a few posts below.

Hi, my name is Living Room. My "friend" didn't like my fireplace, so she painted me (not the fireplace) a color so that it would blend in. Not only does it remind us both of a bodily substance, but with my dark wood trim everywhere, there is way too much brown, brown, brown. In a word, yuck.

So, here I am, because we both want this change to happen pretty soon. We hope you'll help.

We're looking for something in the ivory family. Should not have a lot of yellow undertone. Pink or peach undertones are sweet. Shouldn't be too serious a color, either, but a little sophisticated is OK. It needs to work really well with red, as my friend may someday want to use it as an accent color. This may cancel out the peach undertone possibility.

Just so you know, I'm pretty dark (and moody), but my friend installed a lot of artificial lighting, so I at least appear cheery when those are on, but I am not naturally so. Thus, perhaps a very pale color is not for me. No gray!

I'm pretty shy, but hopefully my friend can convince me to take some pictures tomorrow.

Some possibilities . . .have you used any of these?
SW: Crisp Linen

Olympic: Crescent Moon

BM: Creme Caramel

BM: Frappe

SW: Crescent Cream (this is not our house!)

We're desperate and don't want to mess up AGAIN.

Sincerely,
Color Me Sad Living Room

This post was edited by anele on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 13:57

Comments (37)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dear Living Room,

You have come to the right place there are some really great people here that have great knowledge in this area. I am not one of them but I feel your pain. Color can definitely be the anti depressant you need to help you out of your moody state. I look forward to the day you are confident and show yourself.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

Without the benefit of seeing the room or floors or furniture, i like the creme caramel. Very clean looking and neutral. Should work nicely with red.

• Related Discussions

Color of 'Desperate Housewives' living room

Q

Comments (5)
    Here's the rest of them, btw. Again all BenM. Gabby: Dark Beige Beeswax Annapolis Gray Soft Pumpkin Acorn Yellow Summer Peach Lynette: November Skies Strawberry Yogurt Beacon Gray Cherry Malt Melted Ice Cream Rose Silk Bree: Durango Dust Wickham Gray Arizona Tan Wythe Blue Butter Pecan Hathaway Peach
    ...See More

Desperately Seeking ROOM LAYOUT & INTERIOR DESIGN help!

Q

Comments (9)
    This is a nice room, but it does need some personality and color. I would definitely involve your son and incorporate his interests. Here are some ideas from Target to get you started. I'm sure PB Kids and others will have similar looks. A bulletin board over the desk is a great idea, along with colorful art. Sports, Star Wars, oceans... you can always preselect several pieces you can live with that he will like and let him make the final choice. The mirror can go over the dresser if it will be useful, otherwise stick with decor that appeals to him. It is hard to tell from your photos if there might be a better furniture arrangement since that big bed doesn't leave much space for playing or storage for books and toys.
    ...See More

desperately seeking cabinet color help

Q

Comments (27)
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, they must be xenon and they do get very hot. I had the chocolate on a protein bar melt inside the cabinet. We leave them on all the time so it was definitely a poor choice. They were installed about 10 years ago. I'm off to the lighting store to try and figure out the best way to fix this. We've hired a company who just does this and they removed all the doors Friday and came today to start prepping the inside. I've asked them for a couple large size samples. They do use special paint and I am assuming the colors are their version of comparable colors.The one that seems to go best is the Chantilly lace and I have read that it kind pick up certain undertones and I just can't see it in the small sample, even sea salt doesn't seem to show the undertones I know exist.
    ...See More

Family living Room seeking comfort color and personality

Q

Comments (31)
    New day, hi Stephanie. Your 2nd photo shows some similarity of kitchen cabinet [I think], through with flooring, and railing... the railing matches, and even adds a bit of warmth [cause windows have plain white behind it]. Tv's are hard to deal with - seems yours is espresso [which nothing else is] - but with large tv also very dark, it's not so bad. I'll ask then what wood stains you consider for a more important 'replacement item? Is that an Ikea grey-brown item? [I have one]...
    ...See More
  • Tmnca
    10 years ago

We used bm mascarpone in our living room paired with mexicana (a deep warm red) the mascarpone is a warm white with no obvious undertones a d it works well as a transition color in our home goes well with everything.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

On my monitor, your choices seem to have a peach undertone. Not sure if that is the look you are going for.
    Post a picture of your room, so we can get a better idea.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CL, thank you. It helps to know help is on its way.

Flufee, yes, I agree!

Tina, I will sample that. Might it be too pale, however?

Ellendi, yes, peach is OK, but probably not with the red, yes?

Before you see me:
    *Bookcases are wrong. My friend is working on that.
    *Woven chair was a curb find, so new fabric is in its future.
    *Curtains will likely be changed to heavy-weight/rustic linen, or at least for spring/summer.
    * Art is on hold until other elements are in place. Ditto for pillows. My friend adores Art Nouveau and old French red fabrics.
    *Fireplace WILL get a makeover with Dyebrick once the paint is finally settled.
    *Tables are staying. Lamps will go. Sofas will stay for now (all white, but may get new slipcovers. Maybe).
    *Carpet WILL be changed, but it will remain wall-to-wall. Probably something with a slight pattern. There are hardwoods (in bad shape) underneath the carpet.

Here I am. Be gentle.

Me

The Sun Room (paint likely won't be changed anytime soon)

Curb-Find Chair

This post was edited by anele on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 13:59

• suero
    10 years ago

Have you looked at BM White Sand?

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Oh no, I feared you didnt love the color when you didnt come back with pictures. I don't think it's horrible but given your love of vintage french reds and floral fabrics, I think you are on the right track.

As you may remember, I also repainted when my first color just didnt spark me. It was a nice enough color (in fact, I gave it to my bff and it looks gorgeous in her dining room) it just didnt give me that "ahhhh I am home" feeling. My second color just delights me and for that, the extra expense was worth it!

As for color-- it's just too hard to tell online given all you need to work with. I think you'll need to try them in the room. In fact, do you have swatches of some fabrics you like? I've ordered a bunch lately and they've really helped me to narrow in on a design plan. It will be so much easier to select a color when you can see it with a few fabrics you love!

Follow your gut, Anele-- you have great style and you KNOW what you love. Just take your time to find it!

• randita
    10 years ago

I like the Frappe. It doesn't look as peachy as the others pictured.

A very pretty and versatile light creamy yellow is SW Ivoire. I could see it in your living room. Best I can describe it is like the glow of a lit candle.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex, I think the first one would work because it is a little darker. Any idea of the paint color or one like it? I have had the 2nd picture pinned but it seems too pale with the dark wood trim.

Suero, I have not. Is it truly within the whites? I fear they are not dark enough, given the lack of natural lighting and trim.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

No paint noted, but I think your Creme Caramel is close.

• suero
    10 years ago

White Sand seems to go with everything. It looks good next to all the different wood colors I have ( oak, maple, rosewood, walnut, birch, and I'm sure I left out a few). It complements every color I've put it next to.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

To my eyes, looking at your room pics, a big part of the problem -and a readily correctable one - is the bright white ceiling color.

Given that you have dark trim already, the ceiling brightness is too sharp a contrast with it. It leaves the wall color somewhere in between without enough strength to assert and carry its weight visually.

So when you're planning the new color scheme, consider the ceiling surface, too. I'm not suggesting you paint it the same color, but:

a) not ceiling white, or anything like that;

b) if you like a "white" ceiling consider a highly diluted white made up of your wall color at very low strength;

c) or choose another named "white" that complements, and perhaps corrects any undertones if necessary, the wall color you choose.

d) ceiling colors, like trim colors do NOT have to perfectly match, even in adjacent rooms. They should be chosen as part of each rooms individual color planning. Most people won't notice if one ceiling is a little pinkier, or greyer, or yellowy, or slighty bluer (as examples) than the next room's as long as both seem at first glance to be "white-ish". Seen together two ceiling surfaces may seem very different, but that's the point you don't usually see them together, you see them in the context of the colors reflected by the walls and furnishinigs.

Plain, bright, white celings are my pet peeve - they suck the life out of almost all wall colors.

HTH

L.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Liriodendron, I agree - the white ceiling was what struck me first as well. I suspect there's a fear of a colored ceiling darkening a room, but there are a lit of light colors that aren't white.

I just finished painting my kitchen/dining room ceilings and walls - BM Elephant Tusk on the ceiling, Putnam Ivory on the walls. The effect is soft and warm - and you don't even realize the ceiling is a color until you look at the white living room ceiling next to it (kitchen/DR ceiling is vaulted; LR is not).

I painted our bathroom ceiling too - I love the look!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will be back with more, but re: the ceilings, yes, I hate them. To be honest, it all got complicated quickly and I had so little time to plan. The GC was here for other reasons and offered to do the recessed lighting and paint, but it was all rushed. I had a few days to pick, and was limited to Home Depot colors as HD was the only place open late enough. (Happened to be the week DH was getting home ridiculously late and did not want to bring the kids.)

So, I knew the ceiling would be wrong but it "matched" the others, and I decided the wall color at the last minute as it was.

Two problems. I am OK with doing the walls myself (don't want to pay again) but ceilings intimidate me. The other is the light covers. I hate them. GC picked them out--again, was all rushed. So, if I manage to paint the ceiling something other than stark white, the ugly covers will stand out even more. We JUST spent a lot of $ on all this and have had a lot of unexpected expenses lately, so buying new covers is not in the budget ATM.

Will back to respond to others tonight.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Now that you have time, can you get different light covers? I don't have any recessed lighting, so I don't know how big a deal that might be.

Painting a ceiling isn't that different than painting walls, unless it's heavily textured (I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like yours is). Preparing to paint the ceiling is the hard part. Ceiling paint spatters, so you need to cover the walls and floor, and of course move everything out of the room. If you can change out the light covers, you can remove them to paint, and just put blue tape over the lights themselves.

But because that's the tedious part, I suspect that's the part that a professional would charge a lot for. Possibly you could find a painter to do the actual painting, if you do all the prep work.

I think your ceiling could be painted - including prep and cleanup, and 2 coats - in an uninterrupted weekend. But since you mentioned kids, finding that kind of time (and the confidence to do it) might be the biggest challenge.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Anele, don't sweat the switch plates until you have the luxury to get what you want. It's not the end of the world if everything doesn't look "just so" right off the bat. I don't see them, but are they plain o' plastic? I paint mine the wall color. You can get something more scrubbable if you live with people who leave prints (I do).

I completely agree with the advice about painting the ceiling and it's not really that bad to do. Just cut in and then roll using a pole and something down to protect the floor because there will be splatter or drips. Since you are choosing a cream, that will work nicely on the ceiling in this room AND your sun room :) The work is piling up!

I just LOVE your curb find chair! Sheesh, what people will throw away. Love your ginger kitty, too.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

The light surrounds probably just snap out. If not, then do them first, just loosen them and slide wax paper underneath, paint away, Remove wax paper when dry. Paint the rest of the ceiling as usual.

Ceiling painting is definitely not any harder than walls.
    I just use a regular roller frame, not one of those ones on a long handle - I find manipulating the long handles very tiring and it's hard to get a nice even coat with such a long handle.

Hardest part is putting drop cloths everywhere: It's best to remove the furniture, or at least everything light enough to easily move. You'll need a good step ladder, just an ordinary one, not one that's super high.. And I like to use stand lights shining up so I can really see the ceiling.

I just checked now to see if your ceilings were vaulted or particularly challenging. What struck my eye, again, was how harsh the white ceiling is. And it occurred to me that if you liked the wall paint, but it somehow doesn't quite gel in your room, perhaps simply repainting the ceiling, alone, would really improve things even without doing the walls in a different color.

It might be worth a try to do some large swatching on foam boards (or get those really big actual paint swatch sheets) and see how a different ceiling "white" looks with what you've already got on the walls.

Since you have just recently had the ceiling painted, the hardest part of a paint job - the prep - won't have to be redone. I wouldn't even prime, just put two coats of the finish color on, and you're done. (Two coats seems extravagant when merely changing shades of a light color, but two coats kind of make any uneveness in coverage sort of average out. Amateur painters' easiest insurance for a good, rich-looking, job is an extra coat.) Probably do it for less than $75 bucks (assuming 2 gallons needed, maybe not) and painting it on two weekend days. Move stuff on Saturday morning. Paint Saturday afternoon. Paint again mid-day/ early afternoon on Sunday, tidy up and move furniture back in right away. it's not as if you're gong to be brushing against the ceiling before it dries completely! If you have to paint the light surrounds in place do that the weekend before.

HTH

L.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Yes mascarpone is a lighter color, but I think it would look great with your fireplace and any reds you want to introduce. I think your current color looks a bit "dead" in your room, and has yellow undertones. I could see a lighter color making that room really feel luminous.

Here is is in our room (this was shortly after we moved in - need to get some more recent photos!) we did the ceiling all the same color too, though the book case lights are reflecting off it making it look weird.

{{gwi:1590991}}

• crl_
    10 years ago

I would do the work on the fireplace brick first and then choose a paint color. It seems like that is harder to do and maybe harder to predict the exact color the brick will turn out so I would wait on painting until that is finished.

If you end up going with lighter colored walls, the ceiling may not stand out as much.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funky, you are always such a great cheerleader! I can't follow my gut, though. I have made too many mi$take$. I try to be methodical, and that does not work because I intellectualize. Try to go with what I love, and I end up going in too many different directions or take paths that lead me to unwelcome surprises. You are right, though, I really need to start with fabrics. BUT, the fabrics I like are all old, as in from the 19th century. So, I will be using them sparingly, and no samples . . .

Randita, I am not opposed to peach undertones, but do you think they work with red? Seems like no. That is the problem! I have heard similar glowing reports about Ivoire (hee hee), but at the SW store it looked like it had greenish undertones. Do you find that to be true? I know it is a tried and true color, though!

Suero, I will give White Sand a try!

Lirio, back to the ceilings-- I am glad you mentioned them, because I have consciously been trying to ignore them. I hoped if I re-painted the room a lighter color the contrast would not be so bad, but regardless . . .even before we had it painted, I hated the grayish white of the ceiling, and the new paint is exactly the same. I also did NOT know that ceilings didn't have to match. That is another reason I didn't bother picking a color-- I figured I'd be opening a can of worms and would have to redo all ceilings! I guess it is like framing a picture-- frame to go with the picture and not the room. What is your choice for a ceiling? Can I just ask for a certain % of the wall paint? Not sure how that works. Regarding painting the recessed light covers-- can I really just paint them? Had not even thought of that!! And, I do NOT like the wall color. I was happy when it first went up, but only because it was no longer splotchy from the PO. About a week later, I didn't. It is really hard to work with in terms of accent colors. The curtains in there weren't meant for that paint (I just hung them to get something up!) and it's hard to find colors I like that work.

Annkh, I looked up your color choice and Putnam is so pretty. I covet a warm and soft room! You are right-- due to the many kids we have (well, really the 18 month old is the main distraction!) the interruptions are plentiful, but I like your thinking that it should not take too long.

Alex, thank you for the help with painting tips! I was referring to the covers on the recessed lighting, but it seems like maybe I can paint those, too. That makes things much easier! Do you think cream would work with the sun room color for the ceiling? The pic shows it brighter than IRL-- it is a more muted/muddy green. Would be so nice not to have the stark white in there! Also, thank you for the comment on the chair. My cat has certainly claimed it as his!

Tinan, your room is gorgeous! Yes, the current color of my LR definitely looks dead. Actually, I am trying to find a way to make the room look less dead in general. I am not used to w-to-w carpeting, and count on pattern in a rug to bring things to life. The lack of pattern + minimal sunlight are a challenge. This also makes me hesitant to make linen curtains, which I had originally planned on. I would be losing one more element of pattern in a room that really needs it! And then, there's the fireplace . . .

Does anyone think I should start with the FP first, and then worry about everything else? "Someday" the FP will be redone completely, but that day will be a long time from now! So, if anyone has ideas about what colors to pick from Dyebrick, I am all ears/eyes. I am thinking of lightening everything by using the lightener a touch of brown so that it isn't stark. (ETA: Clr,we cross posted. That is what I was thinking, too.)

Thank you all VERY much for the continued tips. You've made me feel better. This has all been a very good reminder of the haste makes waste saying. Had I not been hasty . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyebrick

This post was edited by anele on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 0:53

• JGbeME
    10 years ago

Ok its really not that bad- I think what may be throwing the whole thing off are the undertones of the stuff in both rooms. Do you love the color in the grn room? Try switching out all furnishings aside from the white pieces. Even the curtains- see if that pulls out the colors you WANT to see in your scheme. I think you have many gorgeous things getting lost in a monotone space- would love to see outcome. I think you will regret painting fireplce- unless you only choose the least favorite brick and make that darker or different color throughout- it is hard to change once stained...and it look a lot like a painted brick- even with the stain option.

• JGbeME
    10 years ago

I am a newbie obviously

This post was edited by JGbeME on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 9:08

• JGbeME
    10 years ago

Ok its really not that bad- I think what may be throwing the whole thing off are the undertones of the stuff in both rooms. Do you love the color in the grn room? Try switching out all furnishings aside from the white pieces. Even the curtains- see if that pulls out the colors you WANT to see in your scheme. I think you have many gorgeous things getting lost in a monotone space- would love to see outcome. I think you will regret painting fireplce- unless you only choose the least favorite brick and make that darker or different color throughout- it is hard to change once stained...and it look a lot like a painted brick- even with the stain option.

• JGbeME
    10 years ago

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

OK, so just painting the ceiling to salvage the wall color is out.

So, now what to do? You need to start by identifying all of the factors that are going to define the range of color choices you have..

First, you mention the color of the sunroom is not changng any time soon. Is that because you adore it? One of the challenges to your rooms, as presently painted, is that the warm color of the living room and the yellow-green color of the sun room are sworn enemies, at least as represented on my monitor. If the sun room is a fixed element, then your future living room color choices must play nice with it, or else, because of the wide doorway between the two spaces. (You could inprove the look of the sunroon, as painted, by toning down the bright white of the shade valances, BTW.)

The second issue is the dark trim. I confess I am not a big fan of stained wood trim. Not a militant, paint-only gal, but dark trim adds a real challenge to wall color choice. The inspiration pics you showed at the top are defintiely not stained-trim sorts of colors, so I wonder if you have to resolve that issue early on. The most difficult part of the stained trim is the crown molding. It makes for an awkward band of dark color pretty high up in the room, making the illusion of misty space up there hard to pull off. I think I might consider painting it, even if the rest of the trim stayed unpainted. I would paint it either the wall, or the ceiling color. If the stained trim is a permanent feature then paint colors must work well with it, or else you'll have another color-fight on your hands. Changing the stain colors is a bear, so whatever you have is where you have to start.

The third fixed thing, and what you haven't addressed, is the coloration of the fireplace bricks. I wouldn't delay choosing a color for that- I would select that color as a part of designing the overall color scheme. Because that dye-color probably interacts with the inherent color of the bricks in unpredictable ways.

Regarding differing colors or tints of whites/pales on ceilings, your analogy of choosing the mat colors on a painting for the painting, not the room, is exactly right. It's great if the same color can flow from room to room (adds a subtle, unifying force) but since the light in each room is generally very different and the wall colors often are, if not also the floor covering and furnishings, the ceiling "whites" usually look different anyway. And as long as they appear different from room to room, why not make them actually different, and get them to earn their keep by contributing a helpful, extra element to the overall scheme?. In general I like a ceiling to be a warm, pretty-making tint of white, but I've also used cool whites to chill out an overly rambunctious warm scheme on the walls or floors.

Regarding painting the can light surrounds. I would see if the ring on the ceiling can be removed. If not you have to figure out where to stop painting on the vertical walls of the can. Only really dramatic rooms should have the interior of the can painted, and then you run into the issue of needing high-temp paint. If the ring, or bezel, can be separated from the can, that's all I would paint. Having the interior of the cans a different white from the carefully-selected ceiling white will make no difference.

Using a really stepped-on mix of the wall paint as a ceiling color is one option, but it can be a pain to precisely select it as you have to experiment, on your own nickel. The paint store guys can adjust the formula for specific percentages of the colorants added to the base mix, within reason. The sticking point is that at very low percentages, with teensy quantities of colorants, you need to mix up up a whole gallon to get it right, and that gets expensive just for testing colors. It's easier, I think, to try and find a pre-defined white that works with your wall color. Especially since nowadays you can order pre-mixed small sample jars to try a color out.

Forgot to add to my previous post: in choosing a step ladder for ceiling painting, pick a height that gets you to easy reach of your ceiling and where it's comfortable to have the paint tray attached to the folding thingy on the back side. You can experiment with any step ladder you have on hand to find the right height if you think you need another one.

You're at what I consider the fun part of decorating, now: choosing colors. Aside from the cost of doing it over (which happens to everybody from time to time, no matter how experienced a color-chooser we fancy ourselves), paint is one decorative item that doesn't cost more to get the best, and most personally pleasing option. It just takes time and thoughfulness to get it right.

I recently acquired three swarms of honeybees, I was thrilled not only because of the fun of having them, but also because I unexpectedly had the chance to choose colors for their hive boxes. It was pure color-play pleasure for me. (Plus I only need quarts for these miniature house painting projects.) I ended up with one a soft, warm yellow, another a gentle green and the third a lovely lavender/purple blue chosen to match a flower in bloom the day the completely unexpected, third swarm arrived. My girls have such pretty houses, now.

Hope your living room project is even more fun for for you.

L.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Here are some pics of my recent (a week ago!) painting project - ceiling and walls.

Prep: I used a scaffold, because it's a vaulted ceiling. This shows the difference between the previous white ceiling and the new BM Elephant Tusk. The yellow walls are going away, so I didn't bother covering them, though I did hang plastic over the stairwell and patio door when I rolled the ceiling.

Finished ceiling and wall - the yellow wall behind the china cabinet will get painted Putnam Ivory, after our kitchen remodel is completed (I have enough turmoil right now).

Kitchen walls/ceiling - the unpainted part will be behind cabinets. I was running out of paint, and wanted to save some for touchup (if needed) after the cabinets are installed.

Another angle of walls and ceiling. The non-vaulted ceiling is still white, so this shows the difference between the white and painted. I did fix the tape at the peak after this photo was taken (I was waiting for DH to bring a little syringe home from work).

• roarah
    10 years ago

I must be in the minority but I like your paint color, but I also like your brick so I must be drawn to the undertones. I think the ceiling is most likely less noticeable in real life for the contrast is always more jarring in pics. I wonder if you replaced your curtains now with the linen option if the room might work with the present paint color. I think more than the ceiling the curtains are throwing me off. I love the red rug and pillows in the sunroom and I think they look even nicer with the living room walls than with the sunroom color. Maybe start bringing in more of the reds you like now before choosing a new wall color. It is easier to pick a paint color after the room is complete.
    I really think the room has come a long way since you posted your photos from when you purchased! You do have a very good eye and soon this room will represent you 100% it just takes time but right now it is a really warm and inviting space while you wait to complete it. I love the curb side chair and other wood pieces in the room! I am also amazed at how orderly and clean the space is! Don't you have 5 little ones?!

This post was edited by roarah on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 2:43

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been sidetracked lately! We have been thinking about adopting a 3rd cat, and now are thinking of a 4th, too. A lot to ponder! My husband thinks I am crazy. Just hope we do not regret!

Anyway, back to my sad room.

JGBMe: Are you sure you are new? I knew someone here with a similar name and they were always so helpful to me, just like you! No, I am not married to the color in the sunroom. I did not paint it. I just like that it feels sort of done. The PO put in those nice, matching Restoration Hardware curtains and I would not be able to stomach getting similar ones for the same price! You are right, though, the undertones in general are a problem. Part of the issue is that I picked the paint when different lighting was in the room (sconces that were so dim and cluttered the walls). Now the new can lights are good in the daytime (very dark without them), but feel VERY cold and too bright at night. (I dim them, but everyone gets annoyed at me!) Makes the paint look its worst at night. I also agree that it is very monotone. And, you are right about the brick-- that is why I have done nothing! It is just that the brick is so "busy." I feel like the contrast of the bricks makes it look like a Caricature Fireplace. The mirror I have there will have to be toned down if it stays with some Rub n' Buff, I think.

Lirio, thank you so much!!! You are a wealth of information. I can repaint the sunroom. I agree that the shades are way too stark. I did not pick them (PO). In fact, I never use them in the sunroom, so I could take them down completely. In the LR I am either going to replace them with something more natural OR get sheers. Part of why I want sheers is that one of my views is my neighbor's stark white house. It is glaringly white, and a very boring view. I wish I could go paint some nice picture on the side of their house, haha! Can't plant anything because the shared driveway is right there.

The stained wood trim does complicate matters, for sure. I also don't get why the baseboards are a nice size, but the crown molding is on the wimpy side. Why??? It simply would not fit the character of the house to paint the trim, however. Our stairs are really pretty in the same wood and I love the color of the hardwoods (matching) in the DR and sunroom. I played around with the BM site, painting the ceiling the same color as the walls. It helped, I thought, with not just the trim issue but everything. I will think about painting just the crown molding, though it would be a problem with the trim around the sunroom.

I also appreciate all of the painting tips. It is making me feel better because I think NOT not painting the ceiling is not an option. What?? In other words, I have to paint the ceiling! It will make a huge difference.

How neat about your honeybees! We just went to hear a talk given by a local beekeeper. Amazing. I bet your hive boxes are the talk of bees everywhere! I'll try to remember them and keep the fun in decorating!

annkh, WOW. Love the paint colors you chose. It really makes such a difference. What I like is that the ceiling works so well with the wall color, that it doesn't stick out. Very warm and inviting!

Roarah, you are right-- the ceiling contrast is not quite so jarring IRL, but it definitely does nothing for the wall color. The problem is, wall color aside-- it does nothing for the trim. And yes, the curtains look pretty horrible with the wall color. I just put them up for now (didn't mean to use them) because I also am tired of just seeing the stark white shades. I am having a problem with the linen curtains because the fabric I've found is either too yellow or too brown. I don't know where to get a simple "off white." I am also considering muslin, if the color would work better. You are so right that paint should be last-- I broke this rule and am paying for it! Thank you so much for the compliments. I really need them! I get very discouraged looking at the room. I don't even want to be in it sometimes, because it feels so thick with the brown mud walls! And, it's not always clean! There isn't a lot in the room for the kids to mess up. :) Of course, since we are still trying to figure out how to prevent another flood in our basement, we lost a major part of our house and toys are encroaching areas that do not have enough space. Me and my first world problems!!!!!!

Thanks again, everyone. I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate you helping me with this!!! Seems like there is a lot of work and $ ahead, but I will take it slow. You have helped me focus on major areas that need attention and how to approach them.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Could you paint the LR the same green? It is lovely. I generally love bungalow gold, but I agree, not sure I love it in that room.

Do you have other pets? I have to say, for us, going from 2 cats to 4 just seemed like a lot more work, and food, and vets, and litter, etc. :) I love them all, and we are down to three. I don't think I would have more than 2 at a time again.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We could do the LR in green. I am afraid I won't like it as much in the LR, however, because the lighting is so different. I also wonder if, for a larger room, if it would just be too much. I don't know.

We have 2 cats now. We used to have 3. I know what you are saying--the work does increase a LOT, as does the money. It's that both are so perfect in different ways. One is a little older (5) and so mellow. Unphased by everything. The other is a yr, and friendly, wants to play (I think she'd be good for one of our resident cats), and wants a lot of attention. My kids have a LOT of attention to give and supposedly will help with the cat box (one does now). They all are good about feeding them-- even the 19 month old.

• roarah
    10 years ago

I think you liked warm "flesh colors, how about a warm apricot color?I love BM's Soft Marigold. It is warm and light and works well with wood tones , but it is in the dreaded peachy range I guess. Here is a link to a room with the color and the ceiling is painted in the same tone and it just glows.

Here is a link that might be useful: soft marigold

• amykath
    10 years ago
  • Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

aktillery - I love this wall color - just looked at all the photos of the home and it's gorgeous. Currently looking for a color to paint my kitchen and family room... I'm going to look into this wall color for sure. Thanks for posting.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roarah, yes, you are right (hanging head in shame), I DO like peach/flesh colors. They can't be "dead" flesh (nervous laughter), if you know what I mean, though. Some of those tones also give me the heebie jeebies. I do run to peach undertones and not away, unlike most people here! I think my living room even "wants" peach. I think it will work with the bricks and trim.

Soft Marigold is gorgeous. Have you seen it IRL? I have not. Love that room. Warm, warm, warm! Thank you for sharing!

Amy, that is such a sophisticated color. I love it-- but am afraid it is perhaps too sophisticated, as I am not so mature. However, I can see how well it works with dark trim and white furniture, so it may do the trick. Thank you!

And, a cat update. We got my friend's cat for the week while she's away, and just adopted a new one today. 4 cats for a week! I am in love! Our new cat is 5 years old and was given up because the owners didn't feel they gave her enough attention. ?? Who knows. She is amazing with my kids . . .I told one of them not to hug her since most cats don't like that/wanted to give her space, and SHE LEANED IN MORE for the hug and started nuzzling my daughter. She will remain separated for awhile-- she hides in the room . . .until we come in. Then she starts eating and hanging out with us. She is so mellow. Oddly, my cats are not hanging outside the door or anything, either.

Pics of 2 of our resident cats together (and please ignore all of the horrible colors fighting each other!):

More accurate color of sunroom green-- I really need to get those lights down!

This post was edited by anele on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 0:01

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Awww kitties go with any color - adorable cats! Are you going to adopt 2 more then?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tinan, I agree-- kitties go with everything! We have 3 now (the 2 that are ours + one newly adopted yesterday).

There is someone who I've been in contact with who needs to rehome her cat in a few weeks. She is about a yr. She would be the 4th cat. Still not sure. We have 4 cats right now since we are taking care of a friend's for a week, so it's giving us a little taste of what 4 would be like.