SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Help me pick a stain for my bedroom furniture

12 years ago

I posted a week or so ago about buying some bedroom pieces from the 50's with a MCM/Regency vibe. I decided to have the pieces refinished because I wasn't feeling the blonde 50's color.

The pieces are very well made mahogany with beautiful heavy chinoiserie pulls. The refinisher told me to start thinking about what color I would like to have it refished in, and to bring in any pictures or samples (drawers of something I want to match, for example). This will probably be in a few days, so I don't have that much time to decide.

Here are the pieces as they currently are:

Vanity with bench:

Dresser:

To stay in the MCM vibe, I was thinking of a teak-y sort of medium brown with just a touch of gold and red for richness. I hate really orange or red wood, and I really like something like maybe a light walnut.

Here is an example of a piece from the same line that has been done in a dark finish from 1st dibs. I like it and it really makes the hardware pop, but it's too dark for me:

I really like the color of this piece from Michael Taylor's Far East collection for Baker from the 60's. Maybe it's a tad too orange-y? BTW, I would kill to have this piece!:

Any recommendations for colors you think would look good? These will probably be the only 2 pieces of wood furniture in the room as the bed is upholstered. I tend to like cool colors, lots of blues, grays and greens.

Comments (8)