SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Repairing old door

bus_driver
16 years ago

Be patient, more information explains the problem better. Interior panel door from the early 1940's. Painted. The shaped molded edges around the panel edges were machined onto the stiles and rails and the panels were inserted during door assembly, no separate moldings involved. Looks as if some force pushed one of the panels hard enough to split part of the molded shape on one of the stiles. The split part was not broken completely off the door, just split part way. The repair technique used prior to my involvement was to nail the split part back in place. Door not painted since then. Nailing was expertly done, but was the wrong technique, in my opinion. I would have made a jig as necessary for clamping and repaired with glue. Removing the split part now would do great damage. But the split would show if the door merely was painted now. So I probably will use urethane glue in the exposed narrow crack and hope it penetrates enough to hold the face edges permanently. Then sand (after glue cure) and paint. Better suggestions?

Comments (3)