SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thurman_gw

Just a word to say how much I appreciate this list

thurman
15 years ago

Hello folks~

Just a word to tell you how appreciative I am for you folks on this list. And I'm grateful for your responses to my notes over the months.

Even if I don't necessarily agree, I am most thankful, because (1) a person can vent and (2) a person can talk with others in similar situations or who at least do understand the dynamics in a stepfamily. My wife, as I've written in the past, is very defensive about her daughter and is tired of me complaining...and so we can not talk about the subject without a fight. So we don't talk...

My pastors from churches I've attended have offered, at times, some good Christian advice, but frankly, they lack insights into stepfamilies, and offer things that would be applicable (maybe) in a bio-intact family. Things like "fathers rule" or being the head of the house.

I've even tried regular counseling. The person had no real experience with step-families and could offer no guidance.

My own family (Mom and Dad and brothers) have no insights and zero understanding. My friends and other family think we should be like their bio-families, and often will say well-meaning things, but they do not have a frame of reference.

So thanks folks for taking time to respond. It means a lot.

Comments (8)