SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
razl_gw

Wiring a ceiling fan to a 3-way switch

razl
17 years ago

I have 3 switches that power the ceiling electrical box in my bedroom. Two switches are a 3-way to power the light so I can turn the light on/off from either end of the bedroom. The third switch is a stand-alone (2-way?) for powering a ceiling fan. As of yesterday I had a light fixture only so the fan wire in the ceiling box was capped off.

I purchased a remote controlled Minka Aire ceiling fan with lights. The remote is a wall mounted controller (WC210) that replaces the wall switch. The controller isnÂt wired for a three way, it only has 2 black wires and a ground. The wireless receiver that connects to the ceiling box isnÂt 3-way either. So IÂm trying to figure out the best way to wire the whole thing.

First, I guess I have to decide how I want to wire the ceiling box connections. Even though I have 2 hot wires in the box (remember I have a 2 3-way switches that power the light and 1 switch that powers the fan), I should probably only use the hot "fan" wire connected to the single 2-way wall switch. This way the fanÂs lights and fan will be controlled by the built-in receiver. With this setup however, the existing 3-way switches become useless, right?

I would like to control the fan from 2 locations, so could I connect another wireless wall controller to one of the 3-ways switches near my bed. I think this could work because even though the wiring is not connected to the fan, the controller is a wireless transmitter and only need the switch for powering it. I guess I could just order a handheld remote, that would just add to my nightstand clutter.

Comments (2)