SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Advice and images? antique quilt / coverlet hung on wall

12 years ago

I am eager to see real rooms with a large fabric wall hanging, esp quilts or woven coverlets but really, anything of this sort would help me think. I am less interested in the actual fabric piece than its relationship to the larger room. Does not have to be a kitchen photo--would just like to see mounted fabric pieces as seen from a distance inside any residential space.

We have found that our new kitchen has a significant problem with sound brightness--loud voices bounce against all our hard surfaces and the 8 foot ceiling making the room uncomfortable for me when visitors hang out in the kitchen. Fabrics would help deaden the sound, I believe.

I have always had a plan for the working kitchen which includes non-antique looking roman shades in an assertive print which should also help soften the sound problem. I'm ready to start making them now but have begun to wonder if the large graphic fabric will also accommodate a second, more recent idea: a wall hanging. The room has a table nook alcove outside the main area. It lies some distance from the nearest window but the windows and the nook are seen together from many long views. The nook can be seen from the main kitchen and the nook looks into the main kitchen; nook is bounded by a refrig side, a blank wall, and bookshelf.

We had always planned for the the nook's blank wall to be an art wall because it can be seen from an adjacent entry hall and is the perfect place for a ta-dah! effect. The nook is kind of antiquey anyway, so I'm considering mounting one of my antique bedcoverings from a rod there, perhaps changing it out with another one every so often to show off the collection. I have read about this practice in the abstract and have found lots of online advice about how to do the actual hanging of an antique piece. That's not what I'm seeking here.

Before I make the 4 roman shades, I need to be very sure that all my ideas can come together nicely. Am uncertain as to whether this will be visual overkill or really good. I've tried doing searches on the Internet but I mostly get quilt patterns or "look what I made!" shots, not interior designs featuring a patterned bedcovering as a major decorating element on the wall.

Thanks for listening!--Florantha

Comments (10)