SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunraven01

Living room arrangement puzzle

SunRaven01
10 years ago

Hi, I hope you guys can offer some advice. My husband and I are in the process of buying our first house, a 1950s cape. The seller is a real estate group that purchased the house from the original owner, and they then did some cosmetic upgrades including new kitchen cabinets and counters, a new vanity in the bathroom, and so on. One of the things they did was divide the living room with a wall, creating a small office space on the first floor.

My husband works from home two days a week, so we like having a dedicated office space for him. However, the location of the wall is creating a little bit of a difficulty for me as I try to figure out how in the h*** to arrange the living room, because it sits right at the edge of the fireplace. Here are the details:

-- The TV is a 50" plasma that is exactly four feet long, and roughly 30" tall, not including the base. This is my husband's baby, and to be honest, I rather like it as well. We don't watch a lot of TV -- we have a few shows we follow, but we only average 3-5 hours a week. With the lights off, it's almost as good as going to the movie theater, but without the annoying "other people" and you can pause the movie and go pee. Hee hee!

-- Our current furniture won't be changing in the short term, although it may down the road so I'm trying to work with what we have. We have a sofa (80" x 38"), two chairs (38" x 38"), an IKEA Lack coffee table (46" x 30"), one IKEA Lack end table (21" x 21"), and two foot stools (18" x 18"). Not all of it needs to fit, however and the foot stools can be removed entirely; I currently have them both placed side by side with a tray on top to act as a side table. My husband wants to put one of the chairs in his office as a comfy spot (if it will fit) so while it's possible we'll have both chairs in the living room, it's not guaranteed at this point.

-- We're not sure if we will use the fireplace or not. The husband thinks it's romantic, but we don't use the fireplace in our current house (that we rent). I'm thinking of filling it with candles instead for those times we want the look of a fire, or I found an amazing Pinterest photo where someone filled the fireplace with round logs.

-- Two walls have hot water baseboard heating. This stays, period. Can't/won't move them.

I've included photos from the MLS listing (which has the staged furniture from the seller, so that's not my furniture in the photos), along with a few potential floor plans. The plans are nearly to-scale, with the exception of the fireplace hearth depth, which I forgot to measure so I just estimated at being 18 inches. It could be shallower or deeper. Right now the only place I can think of to put the TV is on the wall adjacent to the fireplace, where we are considering a wall mount with a small cabinet below to hold game consoles / cable box. You'll see that the seller put their staged TV on the right hand wall, which in real life would be nearly unwatchable for anyone in the room. I did consider mounting the TV over the fireplace (with the assumption we would not use the fireplace), but if you put the sofa on the right hand wall, I am not sure if the viewing angles would be favorable or not. With the television mounted on the wall adjacent to the fireplace, the room layout is very nearly the same as in our current house, with one person sitting in a chair and the other one reclining on the sofa.

Anyone have a better idea for me to try? Something I'm missing?

The room is 11.5 feet x 14.75 feet, and the right-hand wall with the two archways is 9.25 feet. The rug is 8x10. The fireplace is 77 inches wide, and there's about 15 inches of space between the fireplace and the window.

This presumes one chair will fit into my husband's office.

One chair, angled to face the sofa more directly. I *think* this may still work for watching television?

I really appreciate any suggestions. I know there's a lot of constraints because we can't replace furniture at the moment.

Comments (11)