SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_shockless

Bonding neutral and ground at main panel- Unique situation

jon_shockless
17 years ago

We bought this old house in a rural area a few years ago after renting it for 3 years. I think it was built around 1965. I am certain that it was added on to at some later time. I have known for a while now that we have some major issues with our electrical system that need to be corrected. The house is situated about 230 feet from the road.

The transformer pole is located on the other side of the road and is wired overhead to a pole situated just inside our property line where the utility's wires are connected to the meter socket. The load side of the meter socket box contains a 100a double pole breaker. I'm pretty sure that the 3 wires (2 hot, 1 neutral) connecting at the meter box are #4 AWG AL. These are run underground in some type of 1 inch diameter flexible black pipe (probably water pipe)approximately 150 feet to a 100a 6 space panel box where the load is split into two feeders (this used to be a 60a fuse box but I had to replace it when one of the hot wire lugs crumbled apart, I think due to a loose connection which caused and arc). Each of these two feeders is now protected by its own 30a double pole circuit breaker.

From this point, one set of feeder wires is #8/3 copper with ground (UF), which runs underground for about 90 feet in the 1" flexible pipe to the washroom where it is connected to an old Zinsco straight bus panel (no main breaker), which also feeds a smaller sub-panel mounted next to it through a 30a double pole breaker.

The other set of feeder wires is #8 THWN run underground about 70 feet in 1 1/4" schedule 40 conduit to a panel box located in the mudroom. This feeder was originally the same as the one previously described (10/3 w grnd UF), except that it was run above ground, suspended by (4) 10' 4X4 wooden posts. I installed the THWN and conduit underground after the whole feeder blew down during a severe wind storm last Autumn.

So, I have the meter socket/100a disconnect at the road, the 100a 6 space panel between the meter socket and the house, and from there a feeder to the Zinsco panel inside the washroom, and another feeder to the unidentifiable panel inside the mudroom.

None of these panels have an equipment grounding bar installed. All of the neutral wires and equip. grounding wires terminate on the same bars inside of each panel.

I want to replace thge Zinsco bus panel with a square D 100a main breaker panel. I also want to install ground bars and grounding electrodes at each location downstream from the meter socket.

My questions are:

1)Which panel is considered the main where the neutral and ground bars are required to be bonded together?

2)Exactly how dangerous is this current set up and why is it dangerous?

3)Will my plan to install ground bars and grounding electrodes and isolate the neutral from the equipment grounding wires make it safe enough until I can replace the whole works?

Any advice or explanation from knowledgeable person(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jon_shockless

Comments (7)