SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
welderdaddy

Garage grounding and bonding

17 years ago

Hello again,

In going over my power supply I developed another grounding question.

The power from the meter on the outside of the house goes into a box or panel just under the meter. It has a 200 amp breaker/disconnect for the 2 hots and the third wire (ground or neutral) just passes through. On the bottom side of the breaker the wires go into my house (200 amp panel) and another set is tapped off to go to my detached garage (100 amp panel). Hence the house and garage power are both supplied separately from that 200 amp breaker panel under the meter. The garage is not a subpanel of the house.

One of the garage breakers (60 amps) runs to another building (woodworking shop) which has a subpanel installed. There are 4 wires between the garage and woodshop (2 hots a neutral and ground).

This 200 amp switch just below the meter is nice since I can completely disconnect all my buildings from the utility with that one switch (at least the 2 hot wires).

My question is: Should the garage panel be neutral bonded to ground (which it is already) and have the 2 ground rods installed (which it does not) just as the house panel is? I assume yes but wanted to check here first.

Also I know the subpanel should not be bonded (which it now is) but does that also need the ground rods installed (presently there are none)?

Thanks again.

Comments (3)