SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Looking for the Perfect 'Blue' Neutral Paint Color

jockewing
13 years ago

I am trying to find a blue-green-gray to use in the main area of my home, the combined living room/kitchen/dining area. I love blues and greens, but I want to find a color that has an "earthy" quality about it and will work with just about anything. I am tired of the beiges and golds that are usually used as all-purpose neutral colors.

I find that you really have to put a strong dose of gray with blue-greens to tone them down or they become too garish. Unfortunately, the amount of gray you have to add almost takes all the life out of the color and makes it dull. For instance, I love SW Quietude, and have it in my bedroom. But I would never use it in the main living area because it is too saturated. I also love SW Comfort Gray and SW Oyster Bay because they are toned down enough with enough gray to work in the main living area, but I find they are just a bit too gray and get depressing.

Is there such a thing as a grayed down blue-green with enough saturation to look "alive" but enough grounding as to not look garish and work as an all-purpose neutral? I am thinking about how sage greens work with just about any other color and wonder if there is a "blue" sage? Would a blue-gray-green with a bit of brown mixed in look horrible?

I just love the refreshing coolness of blues, but sometimes you have to be so specific with everything else in the room because it can be difficult to work with. I thought Rest. Hardware Silver Sage might be the answer, but it turns out far too gray for me.

Anyway, I hope you can understand what I'm asking. If you do, please share any ideas. Thanks!

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022