SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
may69

biomom has brainwashed kids into hating me

May69
21 years ago

Hi- I am new to this forum, but am on the verge of a breakdown and am praying someone can give me some advice. 1st, a brief history- my husband and I met in 1996, and married in 2000. He is absolutley wonderful!! He has 3 daughters- twins that are 9 and a 12 yr. old, and I have a 9 yr. old daughter also. My daughter lives with us, and his kids are here 3 out of 4 w/e's.

My problem is his ex, the kids mom...and also his kids. I have tried for 6 yrs. to get close to the kids, but it is quite evident that their mom has pretty much succeeded in brainwashing them into thinking that I am the evil stepmom. I think part of the problem is that I have rules and boundaries here, and at home they pretty much have NO responsibilities!! When either my husband or I ask them to do something they look at us like we must surely be crazy. And if they get in trouble for misbehaving- they pout for an hour, or sometimes cry. They are very whiney!!

Also on LOTS of occasions their mother calls my husband, after a visit, screaming that we didn't have "the right" to do 1 thing or another. Such as she sd. we didn't have the right to ground them from the playground, when we DID it because they didn't get permission to go there, and just went! (it was right across the st. but still....)

It also bothers me tremendously because it is quite evident that they all go home and tell her every little thing that they got scolded for. She eats it all up and babies them- so the cycle is never ending!!

My problem is - I feel like I have tried and the kids barely even talk to me when they are here. I don't know why they hate me so bad? My husband and I have tried asking them what is wrong- but they just clam up and won't say anything. It is getting so I don't even want to be here on the w/e's anymore. I feel frustrated, short-tempered, sad, and depressed the whole time they are here. I know they are my husbands children- but sometimes I wish they didn't come here at all. They are obvioulsy miserable here- and I am miserable when they are here.

I should also mention that they are withdrawn to their dad, also. I would bet LOTS of $ that this all stems from ALL the lies and crap their mom keeps saying to them. We are not bad people. I feel like this is putting a strain on my marriage. I also feel majorly depressed because i feel like if I wasn't around my hubby would have a better relationship w his daughters. He says she is just a mean vengeful person and no matter who he was with- she would pull the same crap.

Anyways, I WANT to have a good relationship w my step daughters, BUT quite frankly I'm ready to give up. I constantly feel like I am fighting a loosing battle. I want his ex to stop talking bs about us. Also I want her to stop calling my husband yelling about things that she has no right to yell about! ANY ADVICE?? Thanx for listening. Sorry so longwinded- but it's hard to try and sum up 6 yrs in a few paragraphs!

Also is there ANY adult step children out there who didn't like their step parent as a child, but then appreciated them, and the "lessons" they learned later in life??? Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner