SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lafevem

UGGG! Help me out ya'll!

lafevem
16 years ago

So, DH and I have been struggling financially as of late, mainly because I stayed home for a year because we had a baby. In August, I go back to work so things will get easier. Last month, we had to borrow a couple of hundred dollars from my parents to pay some bills, but this month we have done pretty well and were able to pay my parents back and have "a little" extra money for the month. 17 year old SD calls Dad today and says she needs new contacts today because she has another eye infection and they told her she had to get rid of the pair she was wearing. Mind you, we end up buying contacts all the time because my SD does not care for her contacts correctly and is always getting eye infections because she stores them in water and not the cleaner. BTW, I know all about contacts because I have worn them since I was 12 and make a pair literally last years, compared to SD's that last a month (no they aren't disposables). She is supposed to take them out every night, not sleep in them, and clean them. She does none of the above. So, anyway, I say to DH, well her mom will get them and will reimburse her our 50% like we always do right? He says no, BM doesn't have the money (as usual) so we need to get them..TODAY. One other side note...she has very stylish name brand glasses that we had to buy a couple of months ago because she HAD to have the name brand pair. I said to DH, well last time I said I would go to Sears Optical and put them on our card and BM can reimburse us her half and she said no way! She said "She is the CP and she gets the contacts and we reimburse her." But now, since she doesn't have the money, we can do it that way. And of course DH does not ever want to make waves, so we will buy the contacts, no matter how I feel about it. So, now there goes our cushion, and I can assure you we will never get reimbursed. Is it too much to expect a 17 year old to take care of her contacts? This is literally her 4th eye infection this year which always come with a hefty eye doctor visit as well. I told my DH I think she needs to stop wearing contacts for a while and give her eyes a break, and maybe when she has to wear glasses for a while, she'd be more motivated to care for her contacts the next time. And before anyone says I only feel this way because she is my SD, I am a huge believer in natural consequences (I use it in my classroom and my home) and this is exactly what I would do with my biological kids as well.

Comments (19)