SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetsandyc

First time Homeowner needs decorating/painting advice! With pics!

SweetSandyC
12 years ago

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and am so glad to have found it. I really need some advice from people with a good eye for decorating.

I just bought my first home (yay!) and am awaiting the closing. In the meantime, I'm thinking about paint colors and decorating ideas. I don't really care for the current color.

In particular, there is one area of the home that I am struggling with. I have an open concept kitchen/dining/computer area on the lower level of the tri-level home.

In the kitchen I would like to have either black or stainless steel appliances installed but wondering how it will look with the maple cabinets and counter-tops? I think that a back-splash is in order as well. But what paint colors will look nice? What color back-splash? The flooring is ceramic tiled in two tones of a khaki-ish color with a smaller dark tiles scattered throughout.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

In the dining area, I would like to raise the chandelier closer to the ceiling or even replace it with a ceiling fan and just turn it into a small family room with stools at the bar area for eating since it is only myself, my husband and our 4 year old son. I envision a TV mounted on the wall between the two cabinets and sofa facing it. I still have to purchase the furniture, so what colors and finishes might look best? Would the end-tables I choose need to match the maple cabinetry? Would an area rug look okay over the tile?

{{!gwi}}

The computer and desk would be directly behind the sofa and that area is carpeted.

{{!gwi}}

Can anyone suggest paint colors for these rooms? Would it boring to paint the whole area one color? Should I be adventurous and go for an accent wall... if so, which wall would be best for that?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just excited and really need help.

Thank you all so much in advance! :)

Comments (11)