Houzz Logo Print
reddimill

First time pruning established pomegranate- advice? **pics**

reddimill
16 years ago

So here it is:

{{gwi:122838}}

{{gwi:122839}}

It has never been pruned before, and I'd like to do a little something now to encourage fruit-bearing.

From what I've read, the pruning for an established tree should be limited to dead wood and suckers (to help conserve resources that could otherwise be used toward fruit?). It's too late to do any significant shaping.

I have a few questions, though. Should I also be pruning old wood, since it doesn't bear fruit? If so - sorry for the stupid question - how do I recognize old wood? I did some pruning yesterday and thought some of the branches near the bottom were grayish compared to the others, but wasn't sure whether it was due to other factors (less exposure to sun, etc.).

Also, can I expect more fruit than is already on the tree? I saw branches without any fruit, but I didn't know if that meant a) old wood or b) new wood that hasn't flowered/fruited yet. I read that late summer/early fall is the fruiting period, but the poms from my tree don't usually ripen until October/November (is it because of the high temps where I live?). Also a bit confusing because I've walked by a house in my neighborhood whose pom tree is *loaded* with beautiful red fruit that looks ready to be picked.

Comments (3)