SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Pruning, Cabling and Removing Established Natives

whaas_5a
13 years ago

I have a couple "low value" trees that I'm thinking about removing but I always have a hard time cutting down a native tree that is growing wild.

There are also a couple that I'm debating whether I invest in them.

Here a few pics, what are your thoughts for each?

This is a 40' Tilia americana. It has huge 6" caliper suckers that need to be removed. And in general it needs to be cleaned up.

The arborist recommended cabling the co-dominant leaders since this tree is 20' away from the garage. Personally I like Linden's and there isn't a JB problem in this area.

Would you go ahead and invest in this tree? Why or why not? The quote is due to me in a couple days.

{{gwi:475100}}

This is a 20' Boxelder. Not my favorite tree but I'm thinking about keeping it until I get some other plants in. In the meantime I want to remove the stem to the left and to the right.

Is that too much to remove right now? The middle stem looks pretty good. I understand the 1/3 canopy rule but would that apply if you actually remove an entire stem?

{{gwi:475101}}

This is a 30' Poplar. Again not my favorite tree, but it 30' away from the house. I'm leaned towards removing it. Would you?

{{gwi:475102}}

This is 50' Poplar, it doesn't look it but its up there. This one is again 30' from the house. The problem is that its right on the otherside of my lot line.

Should I talk the builder into removing it when he begins work on the house in this empty lot? If he leaves it and the tree "where" to fall on my house, could I sue the owner?

Not that I want to but if I have to.

{{gwi:475103}}

Comments (9)