SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wjhampton9

1st time homeowner needs serious advice!!

Will Hampton
7 years ago

Hello,

We are in serious need to what to do with our yard. We bought our first house last year. It was a foreclosure and sat vacant for a few years. We renovated the interior when we moved in and decided we would tackle the yard the following year. Well, that time has come and we are absolutely clueless.

Im currently raking the thatch and as I go over every inch of the yard, I get more discouraged. The yard has bare spots, low spots, huge patches of weeds instead of grass, two trees with ugly exposed roots. Did I mention the bugs? It really killed our dreams of having our 8 month old playing in her yard this summer. I've been reading up on somethings but the information is so much. Should we aerate the lawn, reseed, etc.

Also, the large dirt patch in the yard is from the sewer line we had to replace a few weeks ago. I know I need to reseed that but don't know if I should wait to do the whole yard or what.

We thought a staggered planter box along the steps would look nice instead of the big mount of dirt. Should we remove all the dirt and building the boxes with 6x6 wood? Pretty much each box would be pine wood(?) and line up with each step for a total of 4 boxes. Is this a good idea?

We also wanted to do a mulch border around the tree bases to cover some of the exposed roots but think all of that should come after the lawn is good.

We live in Prince George's county Maryland and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (5)