SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Most expensive thing in the bedroom - a rug?

EngineerChic
11 years ago

I'm still hunting nightstands, and have also started to hunt rugs for our bedroom. Here is a moodboard with the bed (Crate n Barrell, Linea bed, king) and paint color (Ben Moore, Pale Oak) and hardwoods (white oak, oil based poly). I pasted in a possible night stand ... It isn't the contemporary / industrial vibe I want, but it's reasonably pleasing to DH (likes traditional stuff) while still having clean lines.

So, the rug is from Crate and Barrel, too, and it's about $2500 for the size we need. That's more than the bed! It's a wool rug, hand knotted, and will probably shed like holy hell the first 6 months we own it. (I love how wool rugs feel, but hate the shedding in the short term).

DH prefers a traditional style rug, like an oriental. Here's a moodboard with more traditional rugs:

Questions I need help with:

1- is it odd/unusual to spend the most money on a rug? Am I oddly skewing the room so it will look like a room with a high end armchair was paired with one of the ugly Craigslist sofas?

2- is the striped rug too boring with the bed and walls? It seems almost too calm, but I think that could give me leeway to go with really bold bedding - which is cheaper to change out when I want to change the feeling of the room.

3-is the white nightstand a reasonable compromise, or does it look silly with the bed?

Thanks! (other advice is appreciated as well, the only things that are locked are the wall color and the bed)

Comments (18)