SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

I'll Want an Area Rug for Our Bedroom

enduring
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm getting a new red oak, natural finish, hardwood floor in our master bedroom. I have several thoughts on the size of area rug to get and need some help.

One option would be to just get a couple of small 2'x4' area rugs for each side of the bed to step out onto. The other thought would be to get a 5'x8' or 6'x9' area rug for under our queen sized bed.

The room is smallish at about 12'x12'. DH said, "you're getting a rug to cover up the new floor (chuckle)?". We live in a small house and I use the under bed area to store 3 leaves to the dinning room table, so the larger rug would provide a nice sliding surface for them. On the other hand, I could just put a couple of small cheap runners under the bed to lay the leaves on.

Has anyone just use small 2x4 at the sides of the bed? Will it look odd?

My true desire is to get a larger rug that is hand knotted, in a lovely color and pattern, TBD later. I would lean toward a high knot count. But part of me feels that's pretty extravagant for a bedroom so small, and with most of the rug being covered and used to slide my table leaves along, lol. But that would be my desire.

As a bedroom, it is a low trafficked area, so maybe spending more money on a high knot count is not needed.

So what larger rug brands or online sources would you recommend? Other thoughts about locating a rug. I live in central Iowa, no specialty rug companies that I'm aware of in Des Moines, though I could be wrong. I can travel to the Twin Cities, KC, Chicago, Omaha.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm