SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshcwildcat

Replacement Window or New Construction w/ non-stand wall depth

joshcwildcat
18 years ago

I have a room that I need to replace windows in. I have 4 casements and a picture that I would like to replace w/ 4 double hungs and a picture. The current window frames are steel which I would like to remove also. The wall depth is very thin. I havn't been able to measure exactly but it is around 2 to 2.5 inches. My sidings is well I don't know what it is. It looks like just plane plywood. Later this year or next I want to Vinyl side and I was going to add an inch of styrofoam before the Vinyl.

Anyway do I need New Construction windows or Replacement Windows? I plan on doing this myself but I'm a little confused due to the wall depth situation.

If I understand correctly I need an existing window frame for replacement windows, right? So that would seem to be a problem since I'm removing the frame. Though Pella seems to offer two different kinds of replacements, which I couldn't figure out if one of them would work or not.

New construction windows use a nailing fin. So since my walls are thin the nailing fin will be in the air. So that seems to be a problem to.

I just noticed Thermastar by Pella (the 10 series) lists a wall depth of 1 5/8"". But I don't know if this is the right thing to get, I wanted to purchase a better quality window but at the moment it doesn't seem like I have an option.

Any suggestions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH