SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vervelife

Kitchen configuration, from nothing (new construction)

I'd really appreciate some help if anyone wants to play around with my kitchen design. I meet with cabinetry (first, prelim to contract meeting) Weds at noon, no idea what I want to do.

Below is my kitchen space. It's an L + island as drawn with a pantry door that eliminates the need for a corner cabinet. The house is drawn to have the refrigerator in the space by the hall closet. Overall kitchen is 14'6" x 11'. The rest of the space to the left is the dining nook (only dining space in the house so I can't compromise space there).

I'd like a large island. Island is drawn on plans at 9'x4' or 9'x5' (inferring based upon overall size).

I switched the pantry door to swing-in. For traffic reasons I think I want the refrigerator on the left end of the long wall (nearest the dining nook) which makes it most accessible for traffic to get salad dressings out, refill drinks, and serve to the patio. Maybe you have a better idea? In my dreams I'd have full size freezer and full size fridge or extra-wide but limited on appliance funds so probably stick to standard sizes (budget $3K for fridge).

Appliances I'd like to include:
30-36" range (w/ oven) + wrapped cabinetry hood
Single wall oven w/ BI Microwave
Refrigerator
DW
Farm sink (DH wants, I think I'd prefer a single basin undermount).

The challenges I'm running into are
1) wall oven placement to be out of traffic flow area?
2) where to put the fridge without making the long wall a giant mess of appliances
3) can't figure out how to get clean-up off of the island without putting range on the island which is a no-go because small kids will do homework there while I cook. Heat + kids = no.

Everything except exterior walls is negotiable at this point. There is a beam across this opening so the little wall by the closet cannot move as it is structural. I can move the pantry door, I can add a window, etc. I plan to use the pantry for some storage of large pots / low-use appliances (popcorn popper, croc pot, ice cream maker).

Nook will have a farm table to seat 4 on each side, 5 + 2 on the ends for "tight" meals like Holidays. That is an 8' slider in the nook and the nook windows are transom so that I can place a buffet under them maybe.

Help?

Comments (45)