SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkubi7

Adult Stepchild Manipulating?

tkubi7
15 years ago

I desperately need some advice on how to handle a situation I am now suffering through.

My DH & I have been married 8 years. Second marriage for both. I have 2 adult children (33 & 31) from first marriage and he has 3 adult children (22, 24 & 25).

We all got along well initially and I actually started to love his children. They were here every weekend for visitation and frequently spent the weekends with us when they were teens. I did all that I could to make them understand they were a part of our family and I would NEVER take their Father away from them. In fact, one of the reasons I fell in love with DH was his dedication to his children and support of them, both financially & emotionally.

About 2 years ago, DH's oldest, a son, got married. He married a horrible, lying, sneaky deceitful young woman. We found out about many of her lies prior to the wedding and DH tried to gently let his son know before he made a mistake. To make a long story short, kids do what they want and he married her anyway. 1 year later, they divorced.

Now, during the time leading up to the wedding, his soon to be wife did many hurtful things and told many nasty lies. The day of the wedding was the last straw. We were approached by a friend who wanted to know why DH didn't attend his son's stag? No one had even invited him. That broke my DH heart. At that point, dinner was over and he said "Let's go". He wanted to leave.

Well, DH oldest daughter got vicious over this. She didn't talk to her Father for several months. She now blames me for this and has started making bizarre accusations.

She wrote me a letter and blamed me for her parents having a "dysfunctional divorce" (they were divorced 10 years when I met him),she stated that I missed her prom when in fact I was there to see her off and I rented the limo for her myself, and accused me of being the reason we left the wedding along with many other nasty statements.

DH called her and explained everything. He corrected her on every false statement she made. He went to her home, sat down with her and went over everything again. She refuses to accept things the way they really are and only wants to believe her perception of thing.

Fast forward to present. I am now the wicked SM and she is turning her siblings against me as well. I've had it. I'm bitter over being blamed for things I did not do and quite frankly, I feel like she is trying to manipulate her Father into choosing between me & them.

I have tried so hard to understand psychologically what might be causing this and I've tried for 2 years to be diplomatic. I've reached the point where the door is now closed. I do not want her in my life. On the other hand, it is my DH child and I don't want their relationship damaged.

Please, if anyone can shed any insight on how to best handle this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments (9)